RPG Intros 2018 - General

Avatar for Callum Callum ( Callum )

Posted 5 years, 7 months ago

This thread is for general communication regarding the 2018 RPG Introductory sessions. If you are a prospective player, this is the thread you should be looking at. This includes, but is not limited to:- Elevator-pitch style descriptions of sessions being run- Questions about proceedings- General questions about pen-and-paper RPGsAlternatively feel free to shoot me any questions you may have on Facebook.

-Callum Marvell (Eggs President) https://www.facebook.com/callum.marvell

Also, for anyone who may be new here I feel it may be worth mentioning the "events" tab at the top is where the RPG games (and other events) tend to be put up. You can view past events with the click of a button, if you wish to check out which games, systems etc. have been run in the past year or so.

I'll kick things off with a basic description of my session. I am going to be running a 5th Edition D&D game where a group of adventurers, having heard of the problems being faced by the people in the village of Welton though their contacts in Waterdeep have travelled out to try and fix their wolf problem (and net the VERY generous 800 gold reward for it). All is not quite as it seems, however...

I'll be running a one-shot in the 40k RPG system Dark Heresy (2nd Edition). The players will take on the roles of a set of newly-recruited inquisitorial acolytes, investigating rumours of heretical activity in a sleepy feudal world town. Expect intrigue, deception and, of course, combat!

Avatar for James James ( James )

I'll be running Feng Shui, the action movie role-playing game. It's a fun system with a simple dice mechanic and its tongue firmly in its cheek, which fast, creative fight sequences.

You'll be playing a member of elite government super-spy agency L.O.U.G.H.B.O.R.O.U.G.H. Your mission: to infiltrate a convent, uncover the nefarious schemes of the nuns who've taken it over, and give them a good thwarting. Are you up to the challenge? Will the nuns accomplish their diabolical masterplan? And just how many really big explosions can we fit into four hours?

"We do not stop playing because we get older, we get older because we stop playing."

Avatar for Lawful_Tim Timothy ( Lawful_Tim )

I'll be running a 1st level D&D 5e game for 4 to 6 players that is designed for newer players. A number of short adventures in the city of Phlan explore different aspects of roll-playing, from social investigation to dungeon exploration to battles for your life.

"At it's best, law is an attempt to model morality. At it's worst, we follow it to the knowing detriment of ourselves and others. Most often, it is simply a tool used by those who claim the power to enforce it."

Avatar for ARealPerson Neil ( ARealPerson )

I will be running a D&D 5th edition session too. It can probably accomodate 3-6 players and will also be geared towards beginners, with a selection of pre-generated characters to chose from.
The players are on the road traveling with some merchants, for whatever reason they like, while stopping at the next village the leader of the guard voices some concerns about suspicious activities around a nearby cave, and the merchants will be spending the day plying their wares anyway...

AGE OF REBELLION

I will be running an Age of Rebellion game (Star Wars) for 4 to 6 players aimed at newer players. Set shortly after the events of A New Hope, the Rebel Alliance is now on the run from Imperial troops and you have been sent on a mission to a former Separatist world to gain much needed supplies for the fleeing Rebellion.

Avatar for QafianSage Alex ( QafianSage )

James, are you running Feng Shui 1 or 2? I've got the PDF for 2 and I'm looking sidelong at the character archetypes.

DomParis, does Age of Rebellion use the same mechanics as Edge of the Empire?

Avatar for ryan_m Ryan ( ryan_m )

I'd be willing to throw another 5e level 1 session onto the pile. A local celebrity and figurehead has been murdered, but the authorities are refusing to release any details. The people demand answers!

QafianSage - I'll be running 1st ed. I have pre-genned characters available.

"We do not stop playing because we get older, we get older because we stop playing."

Avatar for QafianSage Alex ( QafianSage )

James - OK, that's fine.

If there are archetypes from 2nd you're particularly keen on, let me know and I can probably run you up a 1st ed version.

QafianSage - As DomParis hasn't yet answered your question on Age of Rebellion, yeah it's basically the same as Edge of the Empire. Only real difference is the focus on the rebellion, slightly different skill trees and Duty as a mechanic instead of Debt. Duty goes up over time as you successfully complete missions for the rebel alliance, advance in rank etc. and simply allows for requisition of better gear and whatnot.

Avatar for Aphelion7K Aphelion7K

I plan on running a Call of Cthulhu one shot, in which a group of federal agents travel to the town of Allison Bay, Florida to follow up on a tipoff to a potential communist group in the area, in what is sure to be a standard intelligence gathering mission.

Avatar for Jatsmith Joshua ( Jatsmith )

I plan on running a one shot from the Warhammer Fantasy RPG book for 4-5 players. Players will try to handle the danger of travelling "Through the Drakwald" in the Warhammer world.

Avatar for soupsmith Callum ( soupsmith )

Posted 5 years, 6 months ago

I'll be running a 5E D&D game at 3rd level. I've got premade characters (one for each class), but you are also welcome to bring your own. I've also got handouts with the basic rules for new players. I'm most comfortable with 4-5 players, but I'll have a go at up to 7 if necessary.

Your party has heard rumours of a lost temple deep in the Gern Jungle, made entirely of silver. Together, you delve deep into the dangerous, feral territory, in search of treasure and glory.

Avatar for Jon_Bell Jon ( Jon_Bell )

I will be running a 5e oneshot with a Steampunk twist, set at level three. Will ofc have premade chars and dice on hand, and should be balanced for five people.
Your group has been hired as protectors of the young son of a noble, who has been fending off some attempts on his life. Although, in order to protect him, you'll have to find him first.

Avatar for James_Elsbury James_Elsbury

I'll be running a 7th ed Call of Cthulhu game. Investigators will be digging through the checkered history of an old mansion, before its prospective buyer makes the purchase. There's going to be room for 4 people to run through the scenario.

Avatar for CapnAlex Kestrel ( CapnAlex )

I will be running a game of Legend of the Five Rings 5e, a game of honour and duty set in the world of Rokugan, most easily described as 'fantasy Japan'.

The players will find themselves young soon-to-be-samurai, journeying to the Topaz Championship where they may prove their worth and uphold the glory of their Clan!

Alternatively, if more experienced, the players may find themselves hunting down a murderous Ronin as they flee towards the relative safety of the Kaiu wall - where they might redeem themselves helping defend Rokugan against the forces of the Shadowlands.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.