Term 1 Week 2 Newsletter

Avatar for TheTragedyOf150CharacterUsername TheTragedyOf150CharacterUsername

Posted 6 years, 6 months ago

TERM 1 WEEK 2 NEWSLETTER

Hello,
Fresher’s week is over and what a blast it was, I can’t remember seeing this many new members engaging in so many different parts of the society. So whether you were at wargames, boardgames, card games, the intro to RPGs, the LARP fresher adventure, or even just stopped by our stall at the societies fair then we hope to see you at many more events in the future. And speaking of future events not only do we have all the great weekly events running throughout the term without fail, we also have two special weekend events coming up over this term that we feel you should know about.

❗MORE ONE-SHOTS
Saturday 12:00 Social Sciences Café
So, we would like to apologise for the confusion regarding the start times of our one-shot session last week – there were some materials saying some things some saying others and that meant a lot of people who wanted to go, couldn’t because they were misinformed. The problem was that one-shot RPGs are just too popular, which left us in the unfortunate situation of having to turn away players who turned up later due to the sessions being full. But not to worry - because we have decided to run another, smaller, session this Saturday for those people who weren’t able to find a game last week. So, pop along to the Social sciences café at 12 noon to see what’s on offer.

WEEKEND EVENTS ANNOUNCEMENT
That’s right, it’s the 36 hour long weekend events. Our returning members should be more than familiar with what to expect from these epic gaming marathons but now feels like the best time to give the people joining us this year an idea as to what these entail. Starting at 10 am on the Saturday morning and running all the way through to 10 pm on the Sunday our members indulge in everything we have to offer. The first one will mainly focus on boardgames, however the second one will include card games and wargames throughout, as well as offer drafts, one shot RPGs and our regular LARP event on the Sunday – which will, in fact, be the epic ‘end of term LARP’. So put the 4th of November (week 5) and the 2nd of December (week 9) in your diary and come along for as little or as long as you like. Room details are forthcoming – stay tuned!

WARGAMING
Monday 17:00 to 22:00, B2.01 Science Concourse
Monday night saw a lot of returning faces, as well as some new ones, as the appeal of smashing tabletop armies together never really fades. I know a lot of people were interested in Wargaming at the socs fair but didn’t have a collection or hadn’t brought theirs with them, but that is no excuse for not turning up. At Wargaming we have numerous society armies and a welcoming group of regulars more than willing to teach whatever system you are interested in, whatever it may be.

MAGIC: THE GATHERING
Tuesday 18:00 to 22:00, B20.04/05 Science Concourse
We finally have our hands on some Ixalan boosters this week, so if you are eager pit pirates against dinosaurs come on down to our weekly draft. We will also do our best to spilt people off in to pods of an appropriate skill level so there is no need to be intimidated. As always draft will be £7.

BOARDGAMES
Wednesday 14:00 to 22:00, B2.02 Science Concourse
It didn’t take long did it, on the first week of term the (apparently addictive) curse that is the Battlestar Galactica boardgame (BSG) returned. If you are new to the society then why not give it a go, it’s a great cooperative boardgame with an excellent hidden traitor mechanic, though we realise the rest of us may never see you again. As always boardgames runs 8 hours so even if you only have 30 minutes free pop in and play a quick game, it’s a great way to get to know your fellow members.

CASUAL CARD GAMES
Thursday 16:00 to 22:00, B20.04/05 Science Concourse
Last week was actually my first ever time attending casual card games and boy have I been missing out. Not only were there multiple games of Magic and Netrunner, but there was also a large collection of first timers getting stuck in with our amazing regulars showing them the ropes and giving intros to their favourite games. And the best part is this will be happening all over again this Thursday, and indeed every Thursday, so if you missed it last week you should really check it out.

TABLETOP ROLEPLAYING GAMES
Saturday 12:00 to 22:00, H0.05/H1.03/H5.22 - Humanities Building. We will be meeting in the Social Sciences Cafe
Well we hope everyone who turned up to the one shots at the weekend had a great time, I know I did. And if you did enjoy it and would like to take part in a longer campaign then head on over to our website linked earlier and go to the game sign ups section. This will allow you to browse and sign up for whatever campaign you are interested in. This is also the place to advertise your campaign if you are looking to GM over the current term, we always have lots of eager players so finding a party of heroes (or villains) shouldn’t be a problem. We would advise also making a post on the RPG group, linked at the bottom of this newsletter, linking to the signups, as well as turning up to the social sciences café on Saturdays, where people might still be looking for campaigns (it’s also nice to meet everyone else doing RPGs before heading off to your separate games). We also offer sessions on Thursdays for GMs wanting to run campaigns that aren’t on the weekends, so feel free to arrange your group to play on Thursdays.
And remember last week when I mentioned getting your campaign advertised in the newsletter, well I’ve already been taken up on that offer. Thomas Coombs who goes by the username Shaofu on our website will be running the Mysteries of Midshore, so be sure to check the website for details and sign up if interested.

LIVE ACTION ROLEPLAYING
Sunday 12:00 to 18:00, OC0.01 Oculus
I had great fun at the Fresher’s LARP adventure today and it looked like everyone else did as well, I got to be a sheep twice (although one might have been a bandit cunningly disguised). Hopefully everyone who made it along today will continue to come along as the more people attend that better the adventure can be, and like a table top campaign the one-shot nature of LARPs means that you can join in even if you couldn’t make it today.

(more!) SUMMER NEWS
We highlighted the amazing success of our Wargaming team last week but there not the only ones out there doing the society proud at major tournaments as card games regular Sam Burdock recently became national champion for Android Netrunner. Not only is this an amazing achievement in and of itself, it also gives him a place in the world championships later this year. Sam is at casual card games most Thursdays so if you ever want to learn I can’t think of a better why than to be taught by the national champion.
Some of you may also have spotted the TPP logo on our banner and were wondering what it means. Well, over that summer TPP, a clinical software company started to sponsor us and you will start to see their logo appear on our societies promotional content as well as career opportunities. We hope this partnership is as and helpful to our members as possible and we think this partnership will help the society grow.

Thanks for reading,
John Humphreys (Communications Officer)
J.Humphreys.1@warwick.ac.uk
Society Website: http://www.warwicktabletop.co.uk/
Society Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TAGAROPLE/
Board Games Facebook Group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/681573368568623/
Card Games Facebook Group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/195335593904501/
Wargames Facebook Group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/276814799016749/
LARPs Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204222674/
RPG Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/136276596998520/