AGM: 2019 Edition (nominate yourself and suggest motions here)

Avatar for morrowkei Ares ( morrowkei )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

2019 AGM Date: Wednesday 27th February, 6-8pm LIB.1

(during Week 8 boardgames)

You can find the Facebook event here - please RSVP so we know how many people will be attending!

It's time for the society's most important event of the year. Without an AGM and elected exec members the society cannot exist, and therefore neither can the events we run!

So, to help the society function, we need as many members as possible to turn up, submit motions, run for exec roles, debate, and vote.

Requirements for the AGM to run - quorum

(You can read about quorum in the AGM FAQs here )

In order for the AGM to run, we need to reach quorum - i.e. a certain percentage of standard members must be present for voting to be allowed. As of 14/01/2019, we are at 235 members, and so must reach a quorum of 8%.

However, in order for motions to be made for changes to our constitution, we need the cumulative total of quorum (which is the quorum above) to be multiplied by 1.5, and rounded up to the nearest whole number.

Taking that into account, we need at least 29 people present! This number can go up if we get more members before the AGM, so please turn up if you can!

Running for an exec role, suggesting motions, and/or voting:

If you want to run for a position, suggest a motion and/or vote, you must be a member of the society 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the AGM. That would be by 6pm, February 13th.

I strongly recommend that you read our AGM FAQs here for some guidelines before nominating yourself or proposing a motion. That is the thread you should post any questions you have about the AGM; please keep the comments on this thread solely for nominations/motions for organisation's sake.

You can find a brief rundown of exec roles in this document here.
Keep an eye out for a thread in this forum folder later in the term that details the "exec handover document," a detailed rundown and step-by-step guide written by our exec for our future exec on how we perform our roles.

Any motions to change the constitution must be made no later than 8 days before the AGM. This is due to the requirement to give members at least 7 days notice of the AGM, which should include proposed changes to the constitution.

To nominate yourself or suggest a motion, please comment below.

The current order of business during the AGM is:

  • Introduction
  • Society update
  • Voting rules and procedures
  • Motions
  • Comfort break
  • Exec elections
  • Any other business
  • Election results
  • Wrap-up

We look forward to seeing you there!

~ Ares, your society secretary 2018-19

Avatar for Callum Callum ( Callum )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey Vsauce Tabletop Games and Roleplaying Society, Michael Callum here. Do you want me to run for President at the upcoming AGM? Well, too bad, I'm gonna run anyway.

In all seriousness though, I'd like to formally state my intentions to run for the position of President at the upcoming AGM this term. For those of you who don't know me, I've been privileged enough to have been a part of the Exec with the society for the past 2 years as RPG officer, completely reworking the way in which RPGs are ran and organised throughout the society - pulling it back from the brink to it's current state as one of the larger sections of the society. I've seen the society move from strength to strength since I've arrived - under the leadership of our current glorious leader Nigel, and feel like I might maybe, possibly be ready to step up and take over from him following his upcoming departure. As a society member, I obviously regularly attend RPG sessions (having run a campaign every term for the past 2 years) and attend Wednesday boardgame sessions regularly. Wargames and Card Games get a little less love from me, though I do like a good game of X-Wing Miniatures, and if it weren't for the iconic student duo of "not enough time, not enough money" would probably attend Magic Draft regularly as well. I personally prefer to keep my RP to the tabletop, but I understand the draw of LARP for others less averse to physical exertion than myself.

I won't pretend that I have 12-billion long-term strategies moving forward, or any dramatic, sweeping changes I want to implement (I think the society is currently in a fantastic position, thanks to the current exec) - but I will say a few things. I will endeavour to double down on the division and delegation of work between the exec - hopefully reducing the pattern of the Secretary being overworked, and the Comms Officer feeling as though they have too little to do (something that has already improved this year) - and continuing the way questions to the society as a whole are answered by an appropriate exec member, who knows what they are talking about. Anything I've encountered during my time on the Exec that has been an ongoing problem, requiring continued effort to resolve, I will continue to work on - though at this time exactly how many of those will remain by handover remains to be seen. This includes topics such as securing storage officially and properly implementing an anonymous feedback system. I want to ensure that the site continues to improve at a rate similar to that seen recently - with new improvements and updates being regularly implemented as necessary. I do feel that improvements can potentially be made with our advertising systems - mainly with respect to ordering appropriate quantities of necessary materials - and would like to implement some of those, in the hopes of increasing the amount of money within the budget which can be spent on games, etc. instead. Following on from the success of Welcome Week this academic year, I will be sure to focus on not only drawing (hopefully similarly high in number) freshers in, but also keeping them on as regular attendees/members - this includes making sure we are ready to handle the likely incredibly high numbers attending the taster sessions. Similarly, continuing to work more closely with the SU, running postgraduate events and whatnot, to improve our relationship with them will be a top priority also.

Finally, I just want to say that this society has massively changed me as a person over my time here (probably even more than I've changed it) - and I'd absolutely love to get the opportunity to continue changing, and being changed by, it for one more year. And as always, thanks for watching reading.


-Callum Marvell (President) https://www.facebook.com/callum.marvell

Avatar for Jatsmith Joshua ( Jatsmith )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm Josh, nominating myself for the exec role of Board Games Rep.

I've been at Board Games weekly since I joined the Society over a year ago and have always had a great time. The sessions have been a great way to make friends and have fun. It will be hard to make Board Games into an even bigger success than it already is but I hope to continue making the Welcome Week and Weekend events break attendance records through advertising in all mediums and ensuring everyone has a nice time. It would be a pleasure to help the Society so please vote for me.

-Joshua Smith

Avatar for Benji Benjamin ( Benji )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I’m Benjamin and I’m applying for the role of treasurer.
I am an active member that wants to offer my attention to detail and my meticulousness to the society. I think that it would be a good idea to be open in future with how the society spends and gathers its money, and see where members would prefer their money going. I hope to offer fair, but firm, decisions on what other exec require funds for, as well as encourage expansion in the smaller parts of the society if we have sufficient excess funds. Although Finnbar has already done great work with the sponsorship deal with Zatu, I would also be on the look-out for more direct sponsorships for the society.
If you want to say hi to me, I should be around at most board games Wednesdays, as well as the rare casual card games event. I'm also on the Discord group as "Benji".
I look forward to slaying dragons/guessing words/infiltrating a corporation playing with you all in future!

  • Benjamin McRae
Avatar for Aederon James ( Aederon )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

On @Timforce
The Society Notes:
1. That there is no @Timforce tag in the society discord server.
2. That Discord allows the creation of hidden roles. These function in the same capacity as normal roles, but are not displayed separately in the list of users. This allows the use of tags without causing disorganisation.

The Society Believes:
1. That adding a 'Timforce' hidden role would add to the jaunty air of the Timforce running joke.
2. That the Timforce is recognised by a large proportion of the society and also in official documents, such as the society newsletter.
3. That the creation of a hidden role requires no investments by the society or its members.
4. That this may help us locate Neutral Tim faster.

The Society Resolves:
1. To add a Timforce hidden role to the society discord server, serving only as a method to tag the Chaotic and Lawful Tims.

Avatar for Me.Me@Me.Tim Timothy ( Me.Me@Me.Tim )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I second the motion on @Timforce.


Reality is just a matter of opinion - one I happen to disagree with.

Avatar for Benji Benjamin ( Benji )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

On Discord Roles
The Society Notes:
1. That there are only three roles in the Discord server (namely, “Exec”, “Ex-exec”, and “Bots”).

The Society Believes:
1. That Discord roles can add a degree of personalisation to a person's posts.
2. That many members of the society (especially new ones) may find it helpful to find people on the Discord server that have a role they are interested in.
3. That some members of the society may want to have their username a particular colour
4. That having a way for users to assign their own roles (from a limited list) using some sort of bot would enable greater personalisation and customisation within the discord server.

The Society Resolves:
1. To add a variety of roles to the server, that correlate with the different parts of the society, or with a variety of colours.
2. To add a Discord bot (such as Dyno) to the server to manage the self-application of the above added roles

Avatar for Jon_Bell Jon ( Jon_Bell )

Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Hello all,
Some of you may already know me as the current Assistant RPG's Rep, or maybe not as I've been a bit too busy to attend boardgames much this year (buses to Leamington are something I'm glad to not be having to deal with next year). Given that, let me introduce myself; I am a 2nd year engineer, and an avid tabletop RPG lover. Since joining the Uni last year, I've been involved in three RPG's a week, including my own long-running campaign (now in year 2 of play), and a scattering of other society events (primarily boardgames). I have also run a handful of oneshots (including a very succesful soon-to-be-sequel'd Rogue madness), with the hope to start up a series of XCOM-style oneshots starting next year, and potentially a Cyberpunk oneshot in celebration of the new video game. In additional things I plan to do if continuing as Exec is, of course, get some more materials for helping GM's in the society - the push for playmats & pens seems to have gone done well, so probably more of a focus on sourcebooks this time (much as it's popular, I would like to expand a little beyond D&D 5e this year, perhaps into getting one of FFG's Star Wars system books and some dice), and continuing to run the oneshots at the beginning of term 1&2, as well as assist the rest of the exec in general duties. Additionally, I would quite like to run a session on how to run your first game for potential new GM's near the end of term 3 (to prepare for new year oneshots), and maybe another on preparing notes, making dungeons or balancing encounters (depends what people feel would be most useful, really), and just generally trying my best to continue the sterling job Callum has done over the past two years.
So, yes; throwing my hat into the ring again. If anyone has any questions about anything I want to do or have done, feel free to throw them at me.

Avatar for MagicalStardust Jakub ( MagicalStardust )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On Borrowing LARP Gear

The Society Notes:
1. That there is interest amongst LARP membership to allow the borrowing of society LARP gear for use in external events such as Empire.
2. That such events often require participants to bring their own LARP gear, which can be very expensive and end up dissuading people from attending.
3. That there is currently no official system or rules for borrowing LARP gear to members for external events.
4. That the society has historically borrowed gear to society members without much issue.

The Society Believes:
1. That the amount of LARP gear possessed by the society is high enough to afford to lend some of it out without disrupting our own events.
2. That helping members participate in other LARP events is a positive service that would serve as an added incentive of being a member of Warwick Tabletop.
3. That members who attend external LARP events may end up picking up LARP as a more frequent hobby and potentially become society LARP regulars.

The Society Resolves:
1. To allow paid society members to borrow up to a maximum of three pieces of LARP gear + a weapon for a time period of up to 3 weeks (numbers to be discussed/refined), under the clause that they replace any broken/lost items.
2. To keep a ledger of borrowed gear and make sure borrowed items are either returned or replaced.


yes

Avatar for Anakin Anakin ( Anakin )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello there,

I'm Anakin Skywalker Newbigging, you may have seen me around at board games, played with me in a TTRPG, or even fought me in LARP. I love my roleplaying, and I enjoy tabletop games just as much, so that's why I am nominating myself as RPG executive. I realise I'm a first year, which typically might not be anyone's first choice for an executive role, but during my time at sixth form college I started up my own D&D club and ran a game most weeks for two years. Throughout that time I've gained a lot of the organisational skills necessary for ensuring every member of the society has a game and a room if they need one. Also, I've started running my own home-brew game through the society and have played in a large number of games throughout the first term. I'd love to DM/GM more for the society and being an exec gives me the perfect excuse to do so, especially if there is a surplus of players.

I whole heartedly believe that the system in place for roleplaying games is great, but that doesn't mean the work is over. From what I have seen, I think that the society's resources for RPGs could be improved, whether that involves diversifying the rule books to accommodate for as many systems as possible, or getting some more of the basic supplies. Furthermore, the RPG Intros at the start of the past two terms have been excellent, not only for introducing new members into the society but its also great for current players to have some fun (especially if you have impressive plans to backstab your party). However, this part of the society could benefit from having more events like this by creating more of a sense of community. One suggestion would be organising something in the style of "competitive D&D" where many GMs each run their own party in the same dungeon for a race to the end. This which would likely be tailored to players who have played before but would create a nice dichotomy with the RPG intros. I may still have plenty to learn about filling an executive role, but I think getting stuck in in any way possible is a good place to start.

I am very enthusiastic and would be a very devoted addition to the executive team with aims to further improve the society to the best it can be. I believe I've said my bit now, thank you all for taking the time to read this and any consideration you give me in the up-coming elections. May the Force be with you all.


You underestimate my power

Avatar for SamG SamG

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey, Sam here. Some of us drafters have been thinking about suggesting a more varied schedule for Tuesday’s drafts. Obviously we would draft the newest sets as they are released, but maybe during the release droughts we could do someone’s cube, flashback drafts (e.g. Conspiracy, Battlebond, an older Masters set etc.) or chaos draft? And if we organise a schedule at the start of each term people know what is on each week. Something to think about?

Avatar for SamG SamG

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On Draft Scheduling
The Society Notes:
1. That the Tuesday drafts are the same format each week (usually the newest Standard set)

The Society Believes:
1. Adding more variety to drafts will increase interest during set release droughts
2. Adding free cube drafts to the schedule will make draft more affordable

The Society Resolves:
1. To introduce a termly draft schedule, created by the Draft Rep, including more varied draft sets such as flashback and cube drafts
2. To allow members to suggest additions/changes to the schedule

Avatar for TB Thomas ( TB )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello. I am Thomas, and I am running for the role of Web Admin.
I am a second year computer scientist with familiarity with the technology used within websites, and also with this website in particular. I have been an active member of the society over the past year and a half and would love to be given the opportunity to help this society continue to provide the amazingly welcoming environment for all things tabletop.
In pursuance of that goal, I would continue to develop and maintain the website, as well as the other online presences of the society, creating features and improvements to those tools to aid in the seamless running of the many activities this society. Further, I would seek to facilitate the ongoing outreach towards those unfamiliar with our society, and promote healthy discourse about all thing tabletop and roleplay related, both between society members and those outside our fold.


Thomas
Web Admin and outgoing Welfare Officer
All quake at my local omnipotence!

Avatar for morrowkei Ares ( morrowkei )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On the addition of an exec-elected Graphic Design Officer

The Society Notes:
1. That creation of advertisement materials (business cards, banners, posters/flyers, stickers) is time-consuming and requires a certain skill set.
2. This job has historically been taken on as an unoffical, additional duty by a member of the elected exec, for example by our previous Communications Officer, Draft Rep, and by the current Secretary.

The Society Believes:
1. This job could still be taken on by an elected exec member in the future. However, our future elected exec may not possess the skill set to create our society advertisement material and it may be necessary to recruit a regular member of the society to do this.
2. The person who does this needs access to the executive communication channels to perform this job.
3. The person who does this deserves to be recognised for their work in an official capacity, so that it can be added to their HEAR and/or CV.
4. That adding "Graphic Design Officer" as an elected role would contribute to further bloat of the already large executive team, and would remove the capacity for an elected exec to perform this role in addition to their regular duty if they wished (as is currently done by the Secretary).

The Society Resolves:
1. To add "Graphic Design Officer" as an "Additional Appointed Officer" under section 4.7 of our Society Constitution.
2. To add their duties to the Constitution as follows:

4.7.x.a The Graphic Design Officer shall ensure that prior to the new academic year, advertisement materials are created/updated (as/if necessary) in time for Welcome Week. This includes responsibility for producing the physical component with a printing company. The materials are as follows:
4.7.x.a.i. Society banner
4.7.x.a.ii. Business cards
4.7.x.a.iii. Posters/flyers to advertise the society as a whole, as well as each individual area of the society. 
4.7.x.a.iv. Stickers (primarily to label our board games).

4.7.x.b. The Graphic Design Officer is responsible for liaising with the Communications Officer to create any necessary promotional material relating to the big events that we hold, examples being the bi-termly Tabletop Weekend, the termly quiz, the end-of-year LARP, and collaborations with other Societies. These can, but do not necessarily require, a physical component.

4.7.x.c. The Graphic Design Officer is responsible for looking into new methods of advertisement, and liaising with the treasurer into the cost effectiveness of these.
Avatar for Jon_Bell Jon ( Jon_Bell )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

I second the motion on the Graphic Design Officer.

Avatar for morrowkei Ares ( morrowkei )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On the addition of an exec-elected Holiday Officer

The Society Notes:
1. That we hold Society events during the holidays, when undergraduates are generally not attending events but postgraduates still are.
2. That in the past, these have not necessarily been run by a member of the exec.
3. The exec have already had a discussion about this issue, which can be found in the 2018/19 Term 2 Week 4 Exec Meeting Minutes

The Society Believes:
1. That we have a responsibility to cater to postgraduate members, and have exec at our holiday events, especially with regards to our current postgraduate board game event in the Dirty Suck in collaboration with the SU.
2. This role could be performed by an elected exec member as an addition to their existing role, or by a regular member of the society upon appointment. This role could also be taken up by multiple people working as a team.
3. The person who does this deserves to be recognised for their work in an official capacity, so that it can be added to their HEAR and/or CV.
4. That adding "Holiday Officer" as an elected role would contribute to further bloat of the already large executive team, and would remove the capacity for an elected exec to perform this role in addition to their regular duty if they wished.

The Society Resolves:
1. To add "Holiday Officer" as an "Additional Appointed Officer" under section 4.7 of our Society Constitution.
2. To add their duties to the Constitution as follows:

4.7.x.a. The Holiday Officer shall ensure that there is exec presence at our holiday events (whether it be themselves or another available exec). 
4.7.x.b. The Holiday Officer shall be responsible for our Postgraduate Board Game event in the Dirty Duck in collaboration with the SU.
Avatar for morrowkei Ares ( morrowkei )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On moving the Exec Facebook Group Chat to Discord

The Society Notes:
1. The current Facebook Messenger Chat used by the exec does not facilitate good organisation.
2. The exec have already had an in-depth discussion about moving the exec chat, found in the 2018/19 Term 2 Week 5 Exec Meeting Minutes

The Society Believes:
1. A Discord server is a better platform for a more organised exec chat for the following reasons:
a. Multiple channels keeps discussions on topic.
b. Pinned posts keep essential information from being buried.
c. Bots may fulfill any future organisational needs and provide convenient features.
2. A Discord server would encourage more of our exec to interact with our existing society-wide Discord server.

The Society Resolves:
1. To move the existing Facebook Messenger Chat to a new Discord server at the time of the exec handover this year. The current secretary will facilitate this switchover.
2. To look at the relevant clause in our Constitution (4.8.1.a) and change the wording from "Facebook Group Chat" to "Exec Chat."
3. To remind the exec that in-depth discussion should be kept to our in-person exec meetings, unless the issue needs urgent attention.
4. To remind the exec that long-form discussion and debate can be done on the Exec Facebook Group, especially when inviting expertise from previous exec members.

Avatar for Black-Photon Joseph ( Black-Photon )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

AGM 2019 Motions

Edit: After talk about the motions proposed, I have rescinded three of them on the basis of such systems existing in the SU already and thus an inherent incompatibility. The final motion on Increasing Accountability will remain for discussion.

Please note that these motions are being suggested by Dan Tough (former secretary and writer of the constitution). Due to time constraints, some may need amending, but he will be at the AGM for the discussions. Any comments, questions or suggestions on any of the motions will be welcomed by Dan via any of the usual contact methods.

A Motion on Increasing the Accountability of the Exec

The Society Notes

  1. That currently, the exec meeting are held in private, with minutes being added online afterwards.
  2. That it is common practice for similar groups (such as councils) to hold public meetings.

The Society Believes

  1. That accountability amongst our elected representatives is a crucial issue.
  2. That having public exec meetings would increase the accountability of the society and its’ exec, as well as allow lay membership to present their issues or ideas in person.
  3. That confidentiality and organisational hassle should still be accounted for in the proceedings.

The Society Resolves

  1. To amend the constitution to state that the location and time of each exec meeting should be made public as soon as possible on the website, and no later than 48 hours in advance.
    1.1. All reasonable measures possible must be taken to inform the membership of last minute changes to time or location.
  2. To exclude the following from this rule:
    2.1. Emergency exec meetings called within the 48 hour time limit.
    2.2. Sections of an exec meeting containing confidential information.

~ Joseph Keane

Avatar for morrowkei Ares ( morrowkei )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On the timing of our Casual Card Games event

The Society Notes:
1. Section 5.5.1.d. of the Constitution states:
Casual Card Games shall be held on a Thursday from 6PM to 10PM (4PM to 10PM in term 3).
2. The Society currently runs Casual Card Games from 5PM to 10PM, with no difference in term 3.

The Society Believes:
1. The Constitution should be amended to reflect how Casual Card Games is currently run.

The Society Resolves:
1. To change Section 5.5.1.d. of the Constitution to:

Casual Card Games shall be held on a Thursday from 5PM to 10PM.
Avatar for Callum Callum ( Callum )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On holding holiday events simultaneously

The Society Notes:
1. The three events that run during the holiday periods - CCGs, Wargames and Board games, are run on separate days currently.
2. These events are universally much less attended than during term time.
3. These events are typically only attended after 5pm.

The Society Believes:
1. One room can accommodate the peak number of attendees of all three of these events combined.
2. Running all these events at one time would ease the burden on the exec to run them, and would simplify the logistics of bringing the necessary games and equipment up to Westwood.
3. Having all of these events in one place would contribute towards a more lively atmosphere for holiday CCGs, wargames and board games.

The Society Resolves
1. To hold all weekly holiday events on the same day of the week from 5-10pm.


-Callum Marvell (President) https://www.facebook.com/callum.marvell

Avatar for Callum Callum ( Callum )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

‘On the Constitution’

The Society Notes:
1. The current constitution is 15 pages long and very detailed, listing everything from the order of business at the AGM to the specific times and days of society events.
2. Motions to change the constitution require a week’s notice to bring to the AGM and a 50% higher quorum to pass.
3. The current executive committee has prepared a handover document as a guide for future members of the exec in how to run the society’s events.
4. The way the current constitution is written does not allow for the changing, even temporarily, of times and dates on which we hold events.

The Society Believes
1. Having such an extensive constitution is good for society memory, but paralyses the ability for the exec to act in response to changes.
2. The level of detail in the constitution effectively means that almost every AGM will involve some change to the constitution, meaning that every AGM will require a deadline for motions of a week in advance of the meeting, and every AGM will require the increased quorum levels mentioned above.
3. The intended purpose of a society constitution is to establish the fundamentals of what a society’s purpose is, and not to be a guide for how it runs its events.

The Society Resolves
1. To remove all mentions of specific times and dates for weekly events, effective immediately.
2. To severely trim the rest of the constitution, down to as few pages as possible.
3. That this shortened constitution will be prepared by the next year’s executive committee in time to be ratified by next year’s AGM
4. That the new constitution be publicly available on the website, alongside the cut sections of the constitution that will be reformed into a separate document.


-Callum Marvell (President) https://www.facebook.com/callum.marvell

Avatar for morrowkei Ares ( morrowkei )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

I second both of Callum's motions - "On holding holiday events simultaneously" and "On the Constitution."

Avatar for finnbar Finnbar ( finnbar )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

On The "General Meetings" Section of the Constitution

The Society Notes:
1. The section on General Meetings mostly reaffirms the rules present in various SU by-laws, including By-Law 5 Appendicies A and D.
2. The constitution is long and restrictive, especially when it comes to rules that change frequently such as the SU By-Laws.

The Society Believes:
1. That having to amend the section on General Meetings every year due to how the SU operates is a long excercise with little benefit.

The Society Resolves:
1. To remove sections 5.2.3, 5.2.4 and 5.2.6 from the society constitution.
2. To append to section 5.2.2: ", paying particular heed to the rules on motions that change the constitution."


===========================

you can't stop me

Avatar for Nahjo_Che Jon ( Nahjo_Che )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello there,

My name is Jon and I’m nominating myself to be the next Wargames Representative.

A bit little about me. Having joined the society at the start of this academic year, I wanted to try every part of the society during welcome week. It was great experience, meeting new people, and learning to play new games I’d only heard of before.

Since then, I’ve been going to Wargames weekly, learning and playing War Machine and X-Wing from other players though borrowed armies. I now regularly play Star Wars: Armada, and am always open to teach others the game.

I would be grateful for the opportunity help and give back to the society. If elected, I’ll do my best to follow up onto James success growing the Wargames community, looking to attract new players and help them find something they love.

Thank you for reading, I hope you’ll consider me for this position.

-Jon Cheah

Avatar for Me.Me@Me.Tim Timothy ( Me.Me@Me.Tim )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Good Afternoon, all.

My name is Timothy Smith, or "Chaotic Tim" and I am nominating myself for the position of Quartermaster once more. Over the last year, I have been (one of the few - come to LARP) regular larpers (seriously, we need more people) and have taken the lead role in providing the next set of larpers with more armour and other pieces of general equipment. Additionally, I have assisted the LARP ref in the update and upkeep of the rulebook, and made a separate discord server to keep the LARP things organised and neat - easy for LARPers to see. I was also the first port of call when some of the other regulars were discussing a new lorebook - asking if I would consider writing it.

I think I am good for this position because I already am present and have some authority with the LARPers, and I have proved my worth by working with the LARP ref to help make LARP extra-fun over the last year.

I hope you will consider me for this position.

Chaotic Tim


Reality is just a matter of opinion - one I happen to disagree with.

Avatar for finnbar Finnbar ( finnbar )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

stupid campaign graphic
(thanks to Ares for the slightly mad idea)

Hi everyone, it's time to interrupt the weekly radio silence (okay radio quiet) between the newsletters for me to announce my intent to continue being in exec... yep I'm running for Comms Officer [record scratch] Secretary?! Yep, Secretary.

As an introduction to those that don't know me - I'm Finnbar, your current Comms Officer, third year Computer Science student (on a four year course) and serial exclamation mark user. You can normally find me at boardgames, sometimes Casual Card Games and I've GM'd the odd RPG.

Over the last year, I've made significant contributions to the exec and my role as Comms Officer. My largest job over the year has been leading the change of newsletter format, which has been a great success - the newsletter is now much easier to parse and still an enjoyable read. I’ve also acted as the point of contact for various societies, leading to me working on various things such as the Game Design collab. These have required me to be organised (tick that off your bingo card) which is needless to say an important quality of a potential Secretary.

Outside of my role, I've done a number of helpful tasks as a member of the exec. I've programmed a number of useful features for the website including the notifications system, newsletters system and our own bespoke captcha CAT (Captcha that Autogenerates Things) - giving me a good idea how the website works and how to support the next Web Admin. I've also been the point of contact for our sponsors Zatu Games, which has involved me acting as a liaison between the exec, Zatu and sometimes the SU, which has given me some practice with secretarial work (mainly dealing with the SU).

For the coming year, I'd like to work on how the meeting minutes are presented on the website, as individual forum threads have their limitations, and being able to easily look through the minutes archives like you can look through the newsletter archives would be very useful. (Thanks to Ares for this suggestion!)

I'd also really love to run a Megagame because it would be a great way to bring different parts of the society together and y'know because it would be really fun.

Anyway, I think that's all I have to say so thank you for reading and I hope to see you all at the AGM! (Please turn up!)


===========================

you can't stop me

Sign up or log in to respond.