Egg Emergency General Meeting
[Lights spin around, cameras pan towards a host, big band music playing. They seem to be panickedly looking at some notes with the words "Compiler Design" written on them, but quickly turn to the camera and drop the notes when they realise it's pointing towards them.]
Hello everyone, and welcome to our great new show, the EGM, featuring me, your Secretary and general mess. We've got two important things to deal with in this here meeting, but first, a friendly reminder.
The EGM is on Wednesday 19th June, 6pm in B2.02 (Science Concourse, interrupting boardgames). Please RSVP on Facebook!
We're sorry that it interrupts boardgames, but we need people to show up to reach the required quorum of 30 standard members. That's the size of a secondary school class! Or at least it was back in my day. If we don't get enough people to show up, we likely won't be able to organise another one before the end of term, and this EGM is really important. Please note that you must be a standard member by Wednesday 5th June in order to take part in the EGM.
If you have any questions, the AGM FAQ is mostly still applicable to an EGM (except the dates, of course), so please consult Ares' helpful FAQ here.
Thing 1: A
Whole New Draft Rep
Daniel Grieve has stepped down as Draft Rep, and while Ares has fortunately taken his place for the mean time, we need to elect an official Draft Rep (temporary reps can only hold the position for ten weeks before we need to actually elect one). This is your chance to become the new Draft Rep! Being an exec member is a great way to get even more involved in the society and as someone who's been an exec member for a year and a bit now I absolutely recommend it!
As Draft Rep, you must do the following:
- Run the weekly Draft session every Tuesday.
- Organise the purchase of new product.
- Manage our connection with Games Den.
- Manage the money and lands box.
- Record people's results to be submitted.
- Organise unusual drafts.
- Help run the CCGs Facebook group.
It goes without saying though that the rest of the exec will be there to help, so even though this sounds like a lot you will be fine. You'll be closely working with Alisdair, our CCGs Rep, which may be a pro or a con depending on how you see it. ;)
To run, you just have to state your intention in this thread as a short manifesto, or just run on the day! We'd rather you posted your intent to run here first, however, as it gives members a chance to research who's running first.
Thing 2: That Constitution Malarkey
During the last AGM, many motions were proposed to generally shorten the Constitution, which can be seen in this PDF on pages 2-12, ignoring pages 5-8 (which contain motions rescinded before the event). We will be reproposing some of these to fit our changes to the constitution along with any others deemed necessary - the majority of these were skipped as the motion on page 11 ("On the Constitution") passed. These will be proposed in due course in this thread.
Here's a timeline for how this will pan out:
- Wednesday 12th June, 6pm: This is the deadline for constitution-changing motions, which unsurprisingly an overhaul of our existing constitution comes under. At this point we will also open up the floor to amendments - you will be able to propose amendments to the motions on our website from this point until the next deadline.
- Tuesday 18th June, 6pm: This is the deadline for proposing amendments to these motions. We cannot introduce new amendments during the meeting (aside from factual and grammatical corrections). EDIT: Amendments can now be posted to this thread.
- Wednesday 19th June, 6pm: We actually run the thing. The motions will be proposed, discussed and voted on, along with any amendments proposed before the deadline. If any amendments arise during the EGM and are necessary to vote on, these will be put to electronic vote (as advised by the SU Democracy Team).
Keep an eye on this thread for our motions! You may also propose a motion yourself - you need a proposer and a seconder, two standard members who want this motion to be discussed. These motions should be in the form The Society Notes, The Society Believes, The Society Resolves. As always, here is the example motion about hats!
The Society Notes:
1. That very few members routinely wear hats to games meetings
The Society Believes:
1. That hats are easily and cheaply obtained from many retailers
2. That hats add a jaunty air to proceedings, and encourage good cheer.
The Society Resolves:
1. To require each of our members to wear at least one hat during the boardgames session.
Anyway, thank you for reading and see you at the EGM!
tl;dr: post your intent to run for draft rep and motions below!
you can't stop me