Website Update

Posted 4 years, 7 months ago

We have an updated website!

Here is a summary of what has changed, what new features exist and any known limitations.

1. New design.

You've probably already noticed this, but it is more than just a colour change. This update marks the move to bootstrap 4, which means much better mobile compatibility. It also increases the consistency in design between different parts of the website. One design feature to note is collapsing panes. Clicking the header bar of some elements in the page will cause them to collapse out of the way. I've tried to put them in helpful places but if you find places where it doesn't work but it would be helpful, feel free to ask for me to enable it there.
Usernames now display a first name if you have provided it, and a golden badge appears next to current exec to help identify them. Old exec members get a silver rosette in recognition of their service. If you believe that you should have one but don't, please contact me to allow me to rectify that.

2. New Minutes section.

We now have a dedicated space for meeting minutes. Take a look over here to take a peak into our plots and schemes.

3. Messaging tweaks.

The messaging service has had some improvements. You can now create groups! Groups are created from the main messaging page, which allows you to add members. Unfortunately there is a small limitation, in that you can only have one group with any particular set of members. If you try to create a group that already exists, you will be forwarded to that chat instead. You can also now name chats to help you identify them more easily. Note that all the other members will see the same name!
Message threads now handle long chat threads more elegantly, paginating very long conversations. Also, be aware, the direction chat threads are displayed has been inverted, with more recent messages at the top, to allow the pagination to make sense.

4. Events.

The events system now has a more flexible filter system. The default list displays only events that you can sign up for. You can expand this to include either finished or full events using the filter panel. You can also filter by a tag to see only events labelled as such. You can also click on any visible tags to filter only those events. A useful one to filter by is rpg as most dm's use that to tag their events.
There is also now a shortcut for any members of an event to create a group chat with the current members. This creates a new group chat accessible through the messaging system, although the same limitations mentioned above still apply, if a group containing exactly the same members exists, you will be sent to that instead. Further, if the members of the event change, to include any new members you will have to create a new group.

5. Forum.

The forum has only had one major change to it, and that is the moving of the recent activity. No longer is it visible on every page, instead it is accessible from a link on the main forum page.

6. Markdown Editor.

We now have a new markdown editor. This should get rid of the biggest frustrations of using the site on mobile. It is slightly more limited than the previous one in terms of features, but should work in all JavaScript enabled browsers. It's biggest limitation currently is that it is missing a preview feature, but there are plans for one in the near future.

Finally, one feature that I was asked for by many people:

7. Dark Mode.

This feature is in beta. I'm seeking feedback about any rough edges visually, but otherwise it should be functionally stable. You can enable it from your edit profile menu.

Anna
ex-Web Admin
All quake at my local omnipotence! Sigh in relief at my imposed impotence.

This thread is locked. No further responses can be posted.