Constitution and Mascot History

Avatar for finnbar Finnbar ( finnbar )

Posted 4 years, 1 month ago

In the 2019 Term 3 EGM, it was mandated that the history of the constitution, along with old copies, would be kept on the society website. It was also mandated that the history of mascots would be kept on this site. It's now 2020.

This thread will serve as a record of these changes, which will be updated with each General Meeting. Or at least that's the aim, let's be honest we're all busy. Please note that current constitution can be found on our documents page.

i'm free

Posted 4 years, 1 month ago

2018 - 2019 Constitution and Mascot Changes

Constitution

• 2018 EGM: Dan Tough wrote a new constitution for the society. This original endeavour can be found on Google Drive, which is the correct version despite being plastered with the word "DRAFT".
  • 2019 AGM: Minor edits were made to introduce the Graphic Design Rep and Holiday Officer. A few extra edits were made to remove the dates and times of events such that the exec had more freedom when dealing with timetabling issues. Notably, a motion was passed during this AGM to have an EGM to remove much of the chaff from the Constitution, due to its incredible length and repetition of details that the SU mandate anyway.
  • 2019 EGM: Many edits were made to reflect a changing society and to refer to the SU documentation rather than to repeat it verbatim. These efforts were spearheaded by Callum Marvell and Finnbar Keating, and managed to greatly reduce the Constitution down to five pages. We are incredibly thankful to Dan Tough for his original work on the Constitution - his efforts were entirely sensible given how the Constitution needed to be at the time, but as the society changes, so does its Constitution. You can find this version on Google Drive.

Mascots

• 2018 AGM: RON was elected as Mascot, due to his diligence in elections despite never being elected.
  • 2019 AGM: Timothy Hutchinson was elected as Mascot, due to his infinite helpfulness and general kindness.

i'm free

Posted 4 years ago

2019-20 Constitution and Mascot Changes

Two important edits were made to the Constitution - the renaming of Secretary to Vice President (and the removal of website roles from Vice President); and the introduction of the Communications and Operations Officer role (in place of Communications Officer) that also helps out with events. Currently this version is waiting ratification from SU, but you can look at it here.

The mascot Jo(h)n was elected this year, to represent the concept of Jo(h)n, a powerful [citation needed] being that seems to be omnipresent in our society, whether that be as part of the exec, as a round in the quiz, or in our hearts.

i'm free

Posted 3 years ago

2020-21 Constitution and Mascot Changes

One change was made to the constitution to redefine and clarify the Equal Ops role, renaming it the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Officer and formalising its remit. For more information, please read the full motion.

The mascot was elected through a knockout tournament, and the winner was The Gender Cube, as suggested by Hannah.

Anna
ex-Web Admin
All quake at my local omnipotence! Sigh in relief at my imposed impotence.

Avatar for nasenbaer23 Ben ( nasenbaer23 )

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago

2021-22 Constitution and Mascot Changes

Two changes were made to the constitution:

1. The Web Admin exec position was renamed to Tech Officer, and clarifications and amendments were made to the duties that the Tech Officer carries out. For more clarity, please read the full motion here

2. A motion was passed to delete the faction-specific Facebook groups, whilst retaining the general society Facebook page. Please see here

Following a knockout tournament, Strawberry Jam was elected as mascot.

i have been consumed by the SU regs send he-sound of paper eating a person

Avatar for nasenbaer23 Ben ( nasenbaer23 )

Posted 1 year ago

2022-23 Constitution Changes and Mascot Election Results

At the Annual General Meeting of the Society, the following motions were proposed. All were later adopted, following the results of the vote of the society membership.

1. Due to SU regulation changes, substantial changes were made to the election process and structure of our exec. As such, we combined the Health and Safety Officer role with that of LARP rep, as we found that the exec roles had in effect become synonymous. Please find the full motion here in this Google Doc
  2. Due to the same SU regulation changes, we made some broader changes to our exec structure to comply with requirements- making the Welfare Officer and EDI Officer fully elected officer roles and reforming the Assistant Rep system (which we'll likely have to change again, based on some discussions had with SU team members). Please see this delightful google doc, which also has all the justifications that I can't be bothered to type out again
  3. Following the successful implementation of an Anonymous Reporting System and an equally successful trial period, we formalised it in the Constitution and made the President deal with it (lucky me) please see here
  4. Finally, though they were not constitution changing, motions to amend the Code of Conduct were passed.

The results of the Mascot Elections were as follows:

ALL HAIL STRAWBERRY JAM (AGAIN)

i have been consumed by the SU regs send he-sound of paper eating a person

This thread is locked. No further responses can be posted.