You can view the full powerpoint minutes for this meeting here:
This meeting was conducted on 31/10/2018 at 1300 in B2.02
Finnbar (News Dude)
Ash (Web Admin.)
Jon (RPGs Ass.)
James SF (Wargames)
Alisdair (CCGs Ass.)
Tim (LARP Ass.)
Orders of Business:
Reminders/Updates inc. Postgrad board games and and Tabletop Weekend)
- Collab with Star Wars
- Welfare Officer Role
- Proxies in CCGs
- Who’s available to help run the postgrad board games in the dirty duck?
a. Friday 9th November, evening
- Tabletop weekend duties! Need:
a. Saturday morning set up (0930 onwards)
b. Saturday overnight
c. Sunday morning (10am)
d. Sunday evening pack up (2200)
- Nigel/Patrick: Rashida???
- Nigel: has john’s form been handed in?
a. The advertisement form has been handed in (and also the £230 has indeed been deposited in my account from the very first one)
- Warwick Economics Summit - want a meeting about our room booking - what should I say/who should I take with me or have conduct the meeting?
- WARGS prize! ~£15
- Ares, Nigel, Patrick
- People assigned:
a. Jakub (Patrick, Callum)
b. Patrick (Jakub, Callum)
- Not done still
- Yes, John’s hoodie form has been handed in
- Jakub is going to see whether he can book B2.02 for next week, and if he can, then all is well and we can let them have the oculus room.
- Needs to be promoted in the newsletter, cost run by Nathan
- Nathan is sending some emails at the end of the week - send him any ideas if you have someone you want to sponsor us
a. Someone needs to email zatu back! (Finnbar)
- Need to book a room - is Friday week 9 good?
a. From 6pm - 10pm just to make sure we have enough time?
- Are we booking a pub afterwards (varsity?) or just heading to the duck?
- Prelim interest: who wants to do rounds?
- Yes cool
- Yes, we’ll book varsity (Nigel), from 9pm
- Callum, James SF, Nathan, Alisdair
2. Collab with Star Wars
- Last time, our collab with Star Wars didn’t go well (none of their exec turned up)
- This year, the president is a reg at wargs and they’ve got a fresh exec
- They’re actually going to commit to attending this time
- Don’t need to prepare much as we have stuff prepared from last year
- This will be during term 2
- Yes, we will go ahead with this and give them a second chance
- One thing we should definitely do in prep is proxy a copy of Secret Sith (Patrick) (either laminated or in our leftover yu-gi-oh! sized sleeves that Ross accidentally ordered)
3. Welfare Officer Role (Patrick)
- Elected Patrick under the assumption that the Welfare officer was to help out at drunken events
- However, since going to the SU training, this is not the case
- The welfare officer deals primarily with mental wellbeing
- So, if any member comes to an exec with a mental wellbeing worry (or similar) they can be directed to the welfare officer (with the person’s permission) who can then help them get support.
- Nothing on the SU website about the Welfare officer…
- It’s not in the SU constitution either
- Patrick wants to put something in the newsletter and/or on our website
- Ash: suggest it gets put in the exec bio on the website
- Patrick will go and talk to the Welfare sabbatical officer about the role of the Welfare officer
4. Proxies in CCGs
- Proxies have started to be complained about by a few specific individuals, about a few specific individuals
- Alisdair started doing a preliminary poll of view on proxies
- Josh and I (and Ross, as old CCGs officer) strongly feel that proxies should not be banned outright.
- However, something needs to be done to address the concerns being levelled
- Ross and I compiled a comprehensive document about arguments for and against proxies, including various counterarguments. This includes a list of potential actions that could be taken.
- So, the question now is: how do we move forward?
- Also, there’s the somewhat separate issue of counterfeits, which are different to regular proxies.
- Several people, including myself (Ares), believe counterfeits should be banned, especially as they are illegal, and especially given Wizards’ official stance.
- We need to write somewhere (website etc) that people need to discuss cards, formats, legality etc before beginning a game with an opponent.
- Josh will discuss counterfeits and associated issues at our next exec meeting once he’s had a week to research
- Need to explicitly say that DCI sanctioned events run under Wizards’ rules, not our casual ones.
To Discuss (Focussing):
- Josh's counterfeit argument (Josh)
- The power level issue in CCGs (Josh/Alisdair)
- Health and Safety training for LARP (Jakub)
- Zatu sponsorship (Finnbar/Patrick)