Term 1 Week 2 - Welc Week recap, Covid, Merch, BGs Weekend, Big Events, Lending

15 Oct 2021

Posted by Ares ( Avatar for morrowkei morrowkei )

You can view the meeting minutes on Google Slides here.

This meeting was conducted on 15/10/2021 at 5-6pm in B2.02 (in-person?? Wild).

These minutes were published on 31/10/2021 (can you see a trend here)


😊 Exec Present
  • Ares
  • Oli
  • Lap
  • Anakin
  • Scarlett
  • James
  • Finnbar
  • Henry
  • Alex
  • Nathan
  • Hannah
  • Ike
  • Lewis (might turn up soon after tutor meeting)
🥰 Non-Exec Present
  • Lils
😔 Exec Absent
  • Jon (with apologies, for a 5-6pm Friday lecture is a sad circumstance)
📋 Orders of Business

Action Point Recap

  1. Welcome Week recap
  2. Covid Gidelines
  3. Merch and Treasury Business
  4. Board Games Weekend
  5. Other big things going forward
  6. Equipment Lending

Action Points Next Meeting


🏃‍♀️ Action Point Recap

The action point review is given as an image below (right click -> view image to see in full), as there is quite a lot to it (you can also see them on the linked powerpoint): Action Points

💭 Reminders/Updates
  1. Handover pack is sorted (again??? I had to send off a .docx for some bizarre reason)
  2. Room bookings and Welcome Week happened - more on Welcome Week later
  3. Chih-Hsiang did some introductory meetings last week - 🏃‍♂️ read my notes pinned in #general so we're all on the same page
  4. Socs Survey by Chih-Hsiang 🏃‍♂️ reminder: please have a look at the google doc for this and fill it in!!! I want to submit it over the weekend - see the doc pinned in #general
  5. Socs Invite by Chih-Hsiang 🏃‍♂️ if you have an event you want to invite Chih-Hsiang to, please do so yourselves - see the #socs-officer-announcements channel for deets
  6. Board Games weekend is not this weekend, next weekend - more on this later

🕐 1. Welcome Week (and Week 1 I guess) Recap
  • Wargames
    • Both went really well, good turn out for both Welc Week and Week 1 (had more for the events in actual term). Had new players turn up.
  • Draft
    • It’s been going well and we’ve had some new people start to become regulars. Making sign ups on the website a thing going forward so we know how many people to expect.
  • Board Games
    • A lot of people coming, using multiple rooms. Had some olde regulars coming, plus some new people. Lots and lots of people during Welcome Week.
  • CCGs
    • We’ve got new players and people who haven’t been turning up online turning up in person.
    • Oli taught 2 people how to play pokemon.
    • Yu-Gi-Oh! Is actually being played (rip Henry).
    • At least one new netrunner player (woohoo).
    • Plenty of commander players.
  • RPGs
    • Intros was great, 86 sign ups to main event, 16 who didn’t sign up to individuals.
    • All games went well, rooms were fine. Everyone who came knew what game they were part of!!! Amazing.
    • Engagement after really good. 3 or 4 rooms lent out for the term, couple of one-offs.
    • Taught some people who didn’t want Saturdays how to use the room bookings system (Sundays and Fridays popular), probably another half dozen games.
    • No RPG group for Sunday LARP cover, but Anakin might be able to cover it. If Anakin can’t cover it, Lap might be able to???
  • LARP
    • Received some constructive feedback for LARP from people attending which was good.
    • In Week 1, rooms were locked (even tho centrally timetabled….????), called community safety and sorted that out.
    • Welcome Week: every 10 sign ups, got 3 people each time…. Not good turn out on the people who signed up. Freshers flu + bad busses? Issues with waiting list in that people were on that but people who signed up who didn’t turn up didn’t drop out on the timetable. If we have to limit numbers in the future, this needs working on.
    • Had some people returning!! And had some new try outs in Week 1 :D (who couldn’t come in Welc Week)
    • LARP has risen from the ashes.
    • Probably have about 12ish regulars going forward???
  • Social
    • Ares’ internet fucking crashed and burned so Finnbar hosted last-minute which made things a bit hectic.
    • Jackbox was good! Going forward we should get a better turn out in-person and whatnot.
  • Societies Fair
    • Lots of D&D enquirers.
    • Lots of people asking if we were running in-person (people didn’t want to do stuff online)
    • We got very lucky with scheduling in that it only rained very briefly once (doing it outside was a MISTAKE)
    • The returners fair was a fucking mess.
  • Merch
    • I sorted new business cards, a new banner, and a flag!
    • We might need more business cards? (nah we don’t but we should keep an eye on it). We chose recycled stock for environmental friendliness but it was way more expensive and I didn’t like the result anywhere near as much as the basic ones
    • Money requests will fly in sometime in the future from me

🕑 2. Covid Guidelines

So that we’re all on the same page!

  • Masks MUST be worn at our events
  • No eating/drinking in the rooms as it means you need to take your mask off - eat/drink outside
  • People need to sign in (and out) using our laminated covid forms

For faction leaders:

  • Make sure to take the covid sign in forms to the room with you and put one on each table/pin some on the doors, and encourage people to fill them in
  • Take the hand sanitiser and the table spray/blue towel - encourage members to use them where needed
  • Enforce the above covid guidelines - masks and no eating
  • Its SUPER IMPORTANT that we leave rooms how we found them, as they are set up to specific guidelines
    • Faction leaders, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure this - take a photo of the room before moving the furniture so you know what you have to set it back to

🕒 3. Merch and Treasury Business
  • Budget spreadsheet - this got sorted out yes? Yes
  • Socs Funding Application - deadline is in a few weeks - Ike are you on this? 🏃‍♂️ Ike will start sorting it this weekend - faction leaders make sure you put in your bid for money and provide evidence that Ike needs
  • Hoodies
    • 3 lines of 15 characters each
    • Cost: £21.80 + VAT → £26.16
    • Need a google form set up for these 🏃‍♂️ Ike
    • Need an SU merch page set up for these 🏃‍♂️ Ike
  • Calendars
    • Any updates? No
  • Badges
    • What is the final cost per badge from PW? £1.50 per badge. Need to probably charge a bit more to cover the cost of paper and printing. 🏃‍♂️ Ares: decide final cost
    • I bought some fancy paper, it needs testing… but I also need to order ink for my printer rip 🏃‍♂️ order printer ink sometime soon and get a test sheet to Alex
    • Pride/pronoun badge designs are sorted, and I’ve made a google form for them (no form needed for soc logo badge)
    • Need to quickly put together a soc logo badge design 🏃‍♂️ Ares
    • Both pronoun/soc badges need an SU merch page set up 🏃‍♂️ Ike
  • Stickers
    • Need to finalise designs and put an order in 🏃‍♂️ Ares
    • Need an SU merch page set up 🏃‍♂️ Ike: separate SU merch pages for i) gender cube stickers ii) soc logo stickers 🏃‍♂️ Ares: decide on a final cost using the merch survey
  • Statuettes
    • Price for regular size: £15
      • If we’re offering these (conclusion: yes), they need a SU merch page set up 🏃‍♂️ Ike
    • Price for football size: £40. Do we want a football sized logo? Put it in our budget request form….??? Probably just wait until our budget has been granted to decide whether to get one.

🕓 4. Board Games Weekend
  • Is Soon! Not this weekend, weekend after (23rd/24th)
  • Who can be on duty??? (10am Sat (room available from 9am) -> 10pm Sun LIB1) - Alex will call safety on the day in the morning to confirm with them that we have the room overnight.
    • Important times are:
      • Sat morning set-up: Alex + Hannah
      • Sat during the day: Scarlett + Ike
      • Sat overnight: Alex
      • Sun morning relief: Finnbar
      • Sun during the day: Oli (won’t be much help w longer games)
      • Sun pack-down: James
  • 🏃‍♂️ Any big games? Put them on the Events page on our website
    • There are a couple of people making plans (TI3)
    • 🏃‍♂️ Alex: Dune, Mansions of Madness?
    • 🏃‍♂️ Anakin: 2 rooms and a boom late Sat night
    • 🏃‍♂️ Scarlett: Cosmic Encounter on Sat
  • Book LIB2 for a food room (6-8pm on the Saturday, just in case we can’t eat outside) 🏃‍♂️ Alex
  • 🏃‍♂️ Ares: make advertisement for newsletter
  • 🏃‍♂️ Hannah: make sure to advertise in next newsletter, and also make a specific Discord announcement for it + a Facebook event on the page and share it to the groups
    • Remember to include a call for big games - put them up on our Events page
  • 🏃‍♂️ Alex: make an announcement tomorrow about putting big games up on the website

🕔 5. Other big things going forward
  • Hallowe’ek Week 4 - what are we doing for this???
    • Special one-shots throughout the week? Will need to canvass DMs 🏃‍♂️ Oli will send messages round to DMs to get them to offer stuff - put these on the website tagged as [HALLOWE’EK ONE SHOT], need to be run in Week 4
    • Costume party for board games! Alex will bring Lovecraft games
    • Chaos draft (already scheduled)
    • Anything for CCGs? Spooky format for Netrunner, Planechase for MTG? Will need to proxy a full Planechase deck for the Soc
    • Anything for LARP? Spooky adventure?
    • Anything for Wargs? Lewis will speak to Jon (bring a spooky list)?
  • Equalitea Board Games Week 8 (Uni Pride Week)
    • We’ve done one in the past, it’s a board games and bake sale sesh, this time we’re collab-ing with Pride as we have the links to them (basically just inviting them to come but also they’ll be responsible for the resource sharing)
    • I have a handle on the collab with Pride and with the resources we can hand out on the day
    • We need to check the room bookings - should probably have a separate room for eating??? Or relax our eating/drinking guidelines???
    • Need to decide who we’re fundraising for - Stonewall probably? Ties in well w recent events surrounding them
  • Quiz Friday Week 9
    • Who wants a round? I already have one half-written up from when I was inspired 😂 (frog-related)
    • Ares, Scarlett, James, Lap, Lils, Nathan or Anakin. Bonus: Hannah. 🏃‍♂️ Remember to get your rounds sorted!
  • Tabletop Weekend Week 9
  • Board Games Auction!!!!! 🏃‍♂️ Alex will need to select games to be sold at this

🕕 6. Equipment Lending

Equipment lending

  • To individuals: need membership, via a clone of the “covid-lending” system?
    • 🏃‍♂️ Alex + Finnbar: rename “covid-loan” to “board game loan” but this needs reopening
  • Societies:
    • 2 exec members need membership scratch this rule, as it is effectively replaced by the £10 donation
    • £10 donation (nominally covers new games/replacing old games)
    • If they damage the game, they replace it
    • They need to liaise with the President, VP or Board Games rep for the borrowing
    • We should probably have a contract template for them to sign, given they might steal games/damage and not pay etc etc and then we can go to the SU for resolution if they’ve signed a form
    • Need to write the guidelines up and host them on our pages too 🏃‍♂️ Lewis will write up a document about this using his amazing Law Knowledge
    • Is this just for board games or for other soc equipment?
  • Anyone else? Probably not.


  • I wrote a guidelines document to this semi-recently - please read it and offer feedback. When we host the equipment lending document, we should also host this one.

🏃‍♀️ Action Points
  1. All faction leaders: keep enforcing covid guidelines at your events!
  2. Merch:
    1. Ares: decide final costs for: badges; stickers
    2. Ares: final designs for: soc logo badge; gender cube stickers
    3. Ike: set up SU merch pages for: hoodies; pride/pronoun badges; soc logo badges; exec badges; gender cube stickers; soc logo stickers; regular sized statuettes
    4. Ike: set up google form for hoodies
  3. Ike: oversee budget application and submit it by the deadline.
    1. Faction reps: make sure you put in your bids for money and provide evidence
  4. Those who have signed up for a shift at BGs weekend: make sure you fulfill that obligation
    1. Those running big games: put them up on the website events page
    2. Alex: encourage others to put big events up (announce it)
    3. Alex: book a room for takeaway consumption
    4. Ares: create ad
    5. Hannah: make sure to advertise in next newsletter, and also make a specific Discord announcement for it + a Facebook event on the page and share it to the groups. Remember to include a call for big games.
  5. Faction reps: spookify your Week 4 events!
    1. Oli: canvass DMs for Hallowe’ek One Shots
  6. Alex: think about board games for a Board Game Auction (note: we will discuss date of this in the future)
  7. Alex + Finnbar: revive covid loan system into a generic board game loan system for members
  8. Lewis (+ help from everyone else): write up equipment lending contract

➡ Next Meeting

When: Week 4 ideally

  1. Open Day Socs Fair.
  2. Merch. Focusing: Ike
  3. Board Games Auction + Book Sale. Focusing: Alex
  4. Quick Quiz Discussion (buy-in + prizes).