Heyo all, and welcome to week 3! With Pumpkins and Christmas stuff in Tesco, that can only mean one thing - Halloween is being subsumed by Christmas, as survival of the marketable consumes our holidays. However, since tabletop society has no concept of death, we will continue to honour our lost skeleton overlords by celebrating Halloween.
❗ Announcements ❗
🎲 BGs Weekend
Boardgames Weekend is this coming weekend in LIB1! The perfect excuse to run that brain-devouringly complex game you couldn't justify bringing to regular board games (We do ask/suggest if you're planning to run a big game, make a website event for it to make sure you can get players, and to tag it BGs Weekend), to play larger party games like Two Rooms and a Boom, to pop in and play something, or to just spend 36 hours gaming, getting slowly more tired, and trying to avoid discovering the true meaning of regret. I've been told by people who actually existed in the Before Times that we're also planning to get takeaway on the Saturday, though because of pandemic restrictions this will be eaten outside.
🎃 Halloweek is soon!
Week 4 (that is, the week after this one) will be Halloweek! This means Halloweek RPGs! This means we need GMs to run spooky oneshots throughout the week. All systems welcome, and you can stretch the definition of spooky if you need to - Last year I ended up running something Blaseball themed, and Scarlett ran Nice Marines, so it was very stretched. Put them up in events on the website, tag them as HALLOWEEK, and put [HALLOWE'EK] at the end of the title, so people can know what they're getting into. If you plan to run on campus, talk to Oli or Lap about sorting rooms and dealing with the Room Booking system.
Besides that, all our other events will be on as normal, at the usual times but seasonally themed! In order, that means:
- Extremely Normal And Spook Free Wargames (because it turns out it's hard to make it spooky.)
- Chaos Draft. (Look we can't do Innistradd we've just done Innistradd)
- Costume Party Board Games. (I am decreeing right now that there will be an unofficial prize of a photo in the newsletter and some chocolate or sweets for the coolest costume.)
- Planechase MtG and the return of Warwick's very own Spooky format for netrunner at CCGs.
- A vaguely Spooky Adventure for LARP.
❔ What's happening this week? ❔
- Monday 5-10pm: In Person Wargames, B2.01
- Tuesday 6-10pm: In Person Draft - B2.01 - IKO - £10 - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 2-10pm: In Person Board Games - B2.01
- Thursday 5-10pm: In Person CCGs - B2.01
- Sunday 12-5pm: LARP - LIB1
💭 What happened last week? 💭
Wavelength was played at board games, and some blatant lies were spread. The clue here was apparently "Jam between two slices of bread.", and yet despite the obvious Bread Energy emitted by that concept, it was still very far on the sandwich side. This is patently nonsense, as the lack of Bread Energy is the one criteria needed for a thing to ascend to becoming a sandwich.
We can also see what I can only assume is Jackbox from Saturday evening discovering the Exec Meeting minutes from a darker timline.
Extra Bonus End Bit
Horses. Skeletal. Apocalyptic. Unyielding. Why should our escapist fantasy realms have to have them too. Here are 6 potential horse replacements for your RPG campaigns. For best effect, roll on this table whenever you remember "oh wait, the party have mounts.", and hope nobody was paying enough attention to realise they've changed.
- Giant Dragonflies
- Goat automata
- Pure energy, formless and flickering. The party simply step into it and appear at their destination, travel time having passed as though they were travelling on horseback.
- Impure energy in the shape of a horse
- Levitating saddle
- Reroll (Horse)
Wash your hands, wear a mask, stay safe, and come play some games with us 💛
Hannah Collins (she/they/fae, Communications and Operations, hearing hoofbeats and remembering faer sins)
@aceempress#9631 on Discord
We're sponsored by Zatu Games! Use the code UNI5 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!