On our way through the bus station after the handover meal at the end of last term, someone shouted after us very excitedly saying, "I've seen you on tiktok, haven't I?!!" So give us a like and follow I guess. (Pls note that the exec doesn't actually have a tiktok).
Hi Ga(y)mers!! It's your new Co-Op officer, Lils! I'm taking over from Fern's fantastic work last year and I hope that I can live up to faer awesome newsletters and creative content. I'm going to do my best and I will disguise any insecurities or mishaps with puns.
❗ Announcements ❗
🦠😷 Covid policy update
As both the government and the university have stopped offering free lateral flow tests we are no longer mandating that you have to take one before coming to our in-person events. However, if at all possible please do take a lateral flow test before attending in order to help keep everyone safe. Please continue to wear masks to all our events and do not attend if you feel unwell. Our full covid policy is available on our Discord and Facebook.
👋 Meet the execellent new exec
Check out the new exec! More info (including organic, hand-picked Fun Facts) coming in next week's newsletter, so stay tuned!
To get you execited (thank you Finnbar for the pun) for the Fun Factification here is a sample fact: I actively believe that adding (ideally biodegradable) glitter to anything improves it.
I wonder who's fact that could be? (Hurriedly hides my hands which are shimmering alarmingly.)
🎲 RPG Room Allocations for Term 3
A Heartfelt Plea from the RPGs Rep:
If you want a room to play an RPG on Saturday or Sunday this term, please message Ben (Nasenbaer23#8574) on Discord!
Your room allocations from last term do not automatically carry over - so please get in touch!
📡 Call for Tabletop Radio segments
Tabletop Radio is once again on the horizon (Thursday and Friday of Week 10), and I for one am really freaking stoked. For any new members, Tabletop Radio is notably not a radio show but a fundraiser in the form of a Twitch Stream (also available as VODS on our YouTube) of various segments, including RPGs and kazoo interludes. Excitingly we will be able to record it in person again this year!
The bottom line is that a lot of wild stuff can and does happen and you should get involved! If you, good reader, have any ideas for a Tabletop Radio segment, and would be willing to help run it, please let Fern know by filling in this survey. Please complete the survey even if you've already let Fern know about an idea that you have!
❔ What's happening this week? ❔
- Monday 5-10pm: In Person Wargames - B2.01 and B2.02
- Tuesday 6-10pm: In Person Draft - B2.02 - Kamigawa - £10 - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 2-10pm: In Person Board Games - B2.02 and B2.04/5
- Thursday 5-10pm: In Person CCGs - B2.02
- Sunday 12-5pm: LARP - B2.02
💭 What happened last week? 💭
Last week, at Postgrad Board Games Jon, Fern, and I released the Space Phenomena Top Trumps (AKA a weapon that deals intense psychic damage to all astrophysicists) and discovered that they had a fun little puzzle on the back! One that is definitely not poorly designed for the playing of top trumps at all! It's not at all bad design to have some of the stats from the cards visible on the back in the form of a timeline!
Some terrain was successfully built and painted over the weekend! I don't play Wargames so I presume this just means some folks were out terraforming actual planets and you know what, good for them. (Credit to Scarlett and Adam respectively for the cool stuff in the images).
Also a reminder that you can post in #highlights on Discord if you want any particularly cool, interesting, or dramatic moments from your week of tabletop activities featured in the newsletter!
Extra Bonus End Bit
A d6 roll table for drinks that you should absolutely not use. These are not practical and I am not responsible for any consequences of implementing any of these ideas into an rpg:
- A slightly cloudy and off-puttingly viscous liquid. Nothing happens when the character drinks it, but next time the player sneezes in real life whatever their character is holding explodes in game.
- An iridescent, musty smelling drink. When the character drinks it they begin to get intermittent flashes of memories from whoever last drank from that vessel.
- The bartender warns you that it's hot. It's just actual lava.
- A sweetly-scented, faintly pink liquid. Potion of self-care - when the character drinks it, the game pauses until each player has written down two things they like about themselves (they don't have to share them with the rest of the table).
- Extra strong pineapple juice. The character can exhale jets of acid at will for the next 24 hours.
- Infini-straw - straw that holds an infinite supply of water. If the player who's character possesses it ever gets into an argument about how many holes a straw has or whether water is wet the infini-straw turns into a stick and can never be used again.
Wash your hands, stay safe, and come play some games with us 💛
Lils (they/he, Communications and Operations, impressed that I started working on this newsletter earlier than most of my term 3 assignments)
@ArtemisForest#9741 on Discord
We're sponsored by Zatu Games! Use the code WTGRS5 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!