Happy Hallowe'ek folks! For more info on what's happening this week, scroll down to the section helpfully titled "what's happening this week?"
An upcoming Netrunner Tournament
Weeks 5-9 via Discord and Jinteki, you must sign up by midday Novermber 2nd to take part!
Following on from last week's announcement about an X-Wing Tournament, we now have a Tournament 2: Netrunner Boogaloo! For all the details, and to sign up, please visit the event page. But for now, here's Finnbar's description to whet your appetite:
"This is a Netrunner league run very slowly from weeks 5 until 9. At the start of each week, you'll be paired up with someone with which you will play one Corp and one Runner game. See, very casual. You'll then report these results to the TO (me, hello, I'm running a Netrunner thing again) who'll then tot up the scores over the five weeks and then a winner will be declared! If you like, you can think of it as a really slow tournament, except you can do the rounds whenever you want during the week and you can change your decks between rounds. So basically, not much like a tournament."
Remember, you need to sign up by midday November 2nd to take part, so don't let that slip your mind.
What's happening this week?
This week is not just a regular week - it's HALLOWE'EK!
- Monday 5-10pm: Spooky Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Spooky Online Draft - CHAOS! - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Spooky Online Board Games
- Thursday 5-10pm: Spooky Online CCGs. For Magic, we might try to get some Planechase going to spice it up a little! For Netrunner, a SPOOKY FORMAT is being trialled, where a committee arbitrarily decided which cards are spooky and now you have to build decks of which at least half of the cards are from the spooky list.
- Various times of the week: Spooky One-Shots! These are all up on our events page with [Hallowe'ek] in their titles. I wrote a bit about each one in last week's newsletter, if you want a round-up of what's happening. The only space left currently is in Nice Marines, unless someone adds a new one-shot or drops out, so make sure to check our events regularly if you're on the look-out.
What happened last week?
As I write this newsletter late Sunday night, we are just wrapping up board games weekend.
Saturday kicked off with our first in hopefully a long(ish) series of sealed Magic: the Gathering events, where we get to play with actual cards. No fewer than 2 Ugins were opened, Henry had to step in to pilot Raghav's deck due to internet troubles, and Sam came out on top in the end (shakes fist at Sanctum of Stone Fangs).
Saturday night was the domain of Jackbox Chaos, which can be summed up in 3 bullet points:
- You should definitely give racoons defibrillators*
- What's a bad thing to decide via a coin toss? Hannah: "which side of the coin is which."
If you don't go to LARP, Elliot (McGoblin) will kill you
* Warwick Tabletop Games and Roleplaying Society takes no responsibility for the outcome of giving racoons defibrillators.
(one of these screenshots in the above compilation is not like the others...)
And the undercurrent underpinning the entire weekend was a mega game (no, not a Megagame) of Twilight Imperium. I will preface this by saying I have no idea what Twilight Imperium is, though Lewis commented that it's "kinda like a cross of Stellaris, Diplomacy and Risk" (that sounds like Hell to me!) There have been summaries of the rounds posted in our
#board-games Discord channel, with the scene being set by the end of Round One report: "Alex says he has a bad sense of impending doom. Hannah says "nothing bad could possibly ever happen." Lewis says STONKS." Whatever a War Sun is, the Jol Naar deployed it later in the game, and it looks TERRIFYING (see pic right). Like a giant yellow death star. Of death.
I can hear Finnbar laughing downstairs, which means Sunday Night Jackbox 2 has begun. I hope you all had a fun Board Games Weekend!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us (online) <3
ScAres Osborn (Communications and Operations, Giant Yellow Death Star)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!