Hallowe'ek is over, now it's burning-things-in-a-large-fire week. Or whatever size fire you can manage, given that we're now going into lockdown again.
Magic: the Gathering Sealed Events 2 (Electric Boogaloo) and 3 (Electric Boogalee)
After the success of our sealed Core 21 event, Henry is now cracking open some more booster boxes to host 2 more events. These will take place on Saturdays, 1-4.30pm, and you must sign up to these by the 4th so that we can get packs to you before lockdown begins!
- 7/11 - Battle for Zendikar (BFZ, and no, it's not Zendikar Rising) - £15 - you must sign up here (there are currently no places left, but keep an eye out in case a current player drops out).
- 14/11 - Mystery Booster (MB1) - £22 - you must sign up here (there are currently only 3 places left, so get in asap if you're interested).
What's happening this week?
We are now in a brief lull - after the chaos of the last few weeks, we're back to our calmer, regular schedule.
- Monday 5-10pm: Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Online Draft - Innistrad - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Online Board Games
- Thursday 5-10pm: Online CCGs
- Saturday 1-4.30pm: Magic: the Gathering Sealed - Battle for Zendikar (BFZ) - you must sign up here to take part
We will also be having an exec meeting at a yet-to-be-determined time and day this week - if you're interested in listening in, we'll post an announcement on our Discord when we have it scheduled.
What happened last week?
After I finished the newsletter last week, Board Game Weekend Jackbox happened, and so please enjoy some summaries of the following TED(?) talks that were presented:
- Finnbar: today in my talk "the reason everyone calls me gay", I talked about a nice closet that I'd lived in for ten years and then the "coming out dance", where you do a backwards bridge thingy and scream as your back is in pain from all the time you spent in the closet.
- James: today in my talk "listen up NERDS, this is why we don't need Gender" I recount why we must defund gender as it is an archaic concept that is outdated in modern society.
- Jamie: today in my talk "The downside of being half-human, half-human," I swore at a guy with flowers.
- Hannah: Today in my talk, "Scream it with me, wearing sunglasses doesn't make you invincible", we learnt that Hollywood invented explosions in 1938 to make movies better.
Hallowe'ek was a blast (as per usual), featuring: a spooky ship called The Ghost that one-shot the Dark Lord of the Sith and won Aces High by being unkillable; Sam unsummoning his Horseshoe Crab to protect it from obliteration (gg to Jamie for ousting Sam and taking the winner's spot in our chaos draft); and more chaos than chaos draft in Planechase. Jared gets a shout-out for creating the SPOOKIEST Netrunner deck, and we have a bonus shout-out for Jamie, who had an undefeated corp deck. Congrats!
There was many a one-shot; here is Jamie's recount of his one-shot Nice Marines:
"Today on Nice Marines, our Marines were very successful in throwing a Halloween Party worthy of the Emperor! All it took was burning down a large portion of a shopping centre, multiple marines getting shot from a Grav Cannon, a Poundland getting lifted and carried down the street, and a general AI born from a concoction of viruses getting unleashed onto the world. And Exterminatus was narrowly avoided, hooray!" (and a TLDR from Finnbar: "tried to advertise a halloween party, accidentally started a robot uprising").
And Finnbar ran the one-shot DREAM HEIST:
"In DREAM HEIST, a motley crew consisting of a goblin with explosive tendencies, a lover of the medieval, an expert in animal communication, a clone with a love of genetic engineering, a famous athlete with a love for hacking and an optimistic elf travelled into the dreams of the prince of the realm to find memories that they could sell. However, it turns out that their dream crime trainer was not on their side and the group was ambushed by magic similar to their own. They explored a variety of self-contained dream worlds such as a black-and-white noir movie, a pirate ship and a cat cafe in an attempt to find memories and defeat those protecting the prince so they could leave before the dreams collapsed into themselves. Also one of them summoned a mountain to keep a room from collapsing which was pretty cool, and another one rewound time to solve a murder mystery. It was also a useful experience for improving the rules - expect to see DREAM HEIST 2: DREAM HEISTER at some point!"
On a more serious note, please do take advantage of Tabletop's events to socialise in the coming weeks. This winter is going to be a tough one, but it's always easier with friends and some light hearted fun!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us (online) <3
Ares Osborn (Communications and Operations, Hibernating)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!