Emojis in the newsletter? Oh H*ck Yes 👁️👄👁️
❗ Announcements ❗
🎲 Board Games Weekend is in Week 4!
Sat 6th/Sun 7th February (Week 4 weekend), midday till midnight both days
Less than 2 weeks to go until this term's Board Games Weekend event - a 24 hour bonanaza of board games (and other tabletop games) over on our Discord server. Come on by for a few quick games or power through the entire weekend, it's up to you!
These weekends are the perfect time to schedule in one of those 8 hour+ epics that you wouldn't usually find the time to play at our weekly board game event. These can be hard to organise and find the players for, so we recommend that you create an event on our website and advertise in advance!
📝 The AGM Exec Low-down 2: Vice President and Treasurer
Reminder: the AGM is being held on Wednesday 3rd March, 7-9pm, online over Teams (click this link to join the Team)
Last week's newsletter gives a full breakdown on how the AGM is working, so go read that if you haven't already. We also now have the formal duties of each exec role listed on the exec page on our website.
Continuing on with our weekly low-down on the individual exec roles, this week brings details for the Vice President (VP) and Treasurer.
The Vice President:
- Books rooms at the start of the year, and ad-hoc as needed throughout the year
- Organises, runs, and minutes exec meetings
- Takes responsibility for various admin duties within the Society, including but not limited to:
- Maintaining the society google account in cooperation with the Web Admin, including the drive and calendar
- Applying for the Societies Fair table
- Assisting the co-op, web admin, and faction exec in keeping our various social media outlets up to date (Facebook page and groups, website, and Discord)
- Alongside the President, should represent the society at the termly Societies Council
- Is responsible for organising and running the termly Quiz
- Is responsible for organising the AGM in Term 2, and any EGMs that might happen.
If the President were the brain of the society, the Vice president is the rest of the nervous system. You get to be the one communicating with all the lovely reps and keeping everything organised with regular meetings. This isn't to say you can't run events however! As VP you've probably got some of the most power within the exec. If you have ideas to improve the society, you most certainly can do it. In the past the VP has been one of the exec with the most work, and while that's changed, you should make sure you've got the time and initiative!
- Is responsible for the society bank account
- Oversees the budget by allocating spending amounts to each faction of the society and making sure they don’t overspend
- Approves or declines purchases from the other exec members
- Approves online monetary reimbursement forms when purchases have been made
- Is responsible for organising the application for the start-of-year society grant from the SU
- Is responsible for sponsorships:
- Looks for new sponsorships
- Makes sure our ongoing sponsorships are upheld
- Is responsible for any merchandise sold by the society:
- This includes, but is not limited to: society hoodies, society dice, and pin badges
- Responsible for liaising with the SU to set up order forms
- Is responsible for overseeing the ticketing and budgeting for any big event the society might run
- Is responsible for any fundraising the society might choose to do; this includes fundraising for charity or for the society itself.
Treasurer is a great role for people who want to involve themselves in the society in a key and important way, but aren’t confident enough in their skills as faction leaders. As part of the role, you’re in charge of keeping the budgets, making sure finances are up to date, and being a third senior exec. As treasurer, I’ve also endeavoured to be something of a contact for the society, writing emails to the SU and communicating with other societies; although that isn’t part of the job description, it really takes off some of the load from other exec.
🗳 AGM mascot vote
The AGM may tend to be long and somewhat boring, but it also has some spice to liven it up: the mascot election. From our fine constitution:
5.2.2: Annual General Meetings also include the election of the Society Mascot. This Mascot has no power (so does not have to be officially listed as an exec member) and does not have to be a member of the society, nor a person. Mascot proposals can be made and voted on by members and non-members alike.
We're doing this a bit differently this year - you can now nominate mascots ahead of time, and they will then fight to the death (aka be voted on by you) in brackets to determine the Ultimate Victor.
So far we already have 7 (seven!!!!!!!) mascot nominations, and we still have 5 weeks to go until the AGM. If you think you can nominate a mascot to compete with the likes of :benji_sit:, All Horses, the Gender Cube, Jamie, Sea Urchin #16, the elephant with googly eyes and The Banning of Kakugo, you can make a bid for them in our "Very Serious (Not Serious) Mascot Elections 2021" forum thread. You can also read all the fantastic manifestos for the current nominations there too.
📜 A new, updated version of the Exec Handover Document is now available!
Every year, before the AGM, the current exec embark upon the long and arduous journey of making sure the Handover Document is updated. This is an ancient* tome, detailing all of the inner workings of the Society** (including instructions on how each exec successfully performs their duties), such that our future successors may have a peaceful transition into power.*** We release the most recent version of the tome into the wild each year such that anyone may study its contents.
Future exec hopefuls, and anyone intrigued by the vast wisdom of this tome, may now read all 100+ glorious, hand-penned pages of this year's updated version on our website (or just read the section(s) that's relevant to your interests so you don't fall asleep).
*3 whole years old. It is a toddler. **Those that we could be bothered to write about. ***If they deign to actually read it.
❔ What's happening this week? ❔
- Monday 5-10pm: Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Online Draft - Vintage Cube - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Online Board Games
- Thursday 5-10pm: Online CCGs
💭 What happened last week? 💭
"Hey That's My Fish," a game where you play as penguins trying to catch the most fish, was a hit at this week's board games event, definitely because the penguins in the Tabletop Simulator version are Pingus (see images right; I've been assured that the red Pingu is just red, not angry). The blue Pingu in the screenshots has been stranded on a single small iceberg due to global warming (as you collect fish, the iceberg tiles you step off melt into the ocean). If you're a devious Pingu, you can doom your Pingu competitors to the cold sea. If you want a quick 15 minute game of Pingu fishing, mayhaps come along to one of our board games events in the future? 🎣🐧
Anakin has written up the minutes of the exec meeting that we had during Week 1, and you can now view them in the meeting minutes section of our website. We mostly talked about the AGM and the handover to the next exec, as well as a few things on upcoming events this term. We're also planning to have another meeting soon, which we'll announce the date/time of on Discord when that's been sorted.
Finally, you may have noticed some changes made to the newsletter (as a result of me acting on the feedback in last term's newsletter survey)! The first one is a slight change of colour to the headings, so that you can hopefully read them a bit easier. I've added a fancy new graphic to the "what's happening this week?" section, a visual calendar that shows you what's coming up at a glance. It also reminds you of what's coming up during the rest of term! And finally, I condensed the h*ck out of the links at the end of the newsletter. On a similar note, Thomas did some amazing sleuthing and fixed the bug that meant we couldn't use emojis on the site - so now you have a newsletter ft. emojis aka a far better newsletter.
That's it from me for now, I hope y'all have a great week!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us (online) 💛
Ares Osborn 🐸 (Communications and Operations, advocate of the Gender Cube)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!