We have our first gaming weekend of the term coming up this weekend! Scroll down to "what's happening this week?" (or check out last week's newsletter) for the deets~
❗ Announcements ❗
🔮 Social gaming with the Warwick Magic Society
Friday 12th February, 8-10pm, on Discord
In a few weeks time, we're collabing with Warwick Magic - a society for anyone who appreciates/wants to learn magic tricks. We're having a social gaming night - think Jackbox and Among Us - on our (i.e. the Tabletop Society) Discord (so no need to go join another Discord to take part!)
❄ Magic: the Gathering Kaldheim Sealed
Pre Post-Release Event
Saturday 13th February, 1-4.30pm, on Discord and Cockatrice
As we're spending yet another new set release in lockdown, we're hosting a society
pre post-release event for Kaldheim!
How to join in:
- Sign up to the event on our website
- Buy yourself a pre-release kit - if you're not sure where to find one, you can get one from the Games Den for £19 with £3 delivery (or free delivery for orders over £30)
And that's it! Just make sure your pre-release kit is going to arrive on time (order asap), and don't give in to the temptation to crack your packs before the event - we'll be spending the first hour opening packs and deck building, like you would at a proper pre-release event. You'll then upload your deck list to Cockatrice and we'll play the matches online.
📝 The AGM Exec Low-down 3: Web Admin and Co-Op
Reminder: the AGM is being held on Wednesday 3rd March, 7-9pm, online over Teams (click this link to join the Team)
The Week 2 newsletter gives a full breakdown on how the AGM is working, so go read that if you haven't already. We also have the formal duties of each exec role listed on the exec page on our website.
Continuing on with our weekly low-down on the individual exec roles, this week brings details for the Web Admin and Communications and Operations (Co-Op) exec.
- Maintains and improves the society website
- Facilitates suggestions from exec and members as to how the website needs modifying
- Facilitates bug-reporting and squashes any bugs that pop up
- Works with various exec and members to ensure the website is updated with appropriate content.
- Ensure Events are correctly updated and archived appropriately
- Ensure the timetable (and associated google calendars) are kept up to date
- Ensure that static pages are kept accurate
- Manage the moderation of the forum, including spam removal and pinning
- Deal with data requests, and account requests
- Leads the management and moderation of the Discord server
- In cooperation with the Vice President, maintains the society google account, including the drive and calendar.
- Maintain oversight of society GDPR compliance
The Web Admin is a surprisingly varied and complex role. You’ll find yourself doing everything from the obvious (such as fixing website bugs) to the surprising (such as spinning up an emergency minecraft server to save a broadcast). Being Web Admin also provides the perfect opportunity to get involved with all of the events run by the society, providing assistance from a technical perspective to escape rooms and megagames alike. Your primary task, however, is to maintain and improve an already well established codebase written in Django on Python, so familiarity with Python is strongly advisable. Experience with bash and the linux environment is also very valuable, but not necessarily a deal breaker.
Communications and Operations (Co-Op):
- Writes and promotes the weekly newsletter
- Publishes it to the website, cross-posts it to the Facebook page, and announces it on Discord
- Makes separate promotions/announcements of any news - e.g. new timetables, special events - to the relevant places (Facebook page/groups, Discord announcements channel)
- Acts as support role for any big events that need an extra hand to organise - e.g. the Megagame, the big RPG, the Escape Room, the AGM
- Maintains the main Facebook page, and helps maintain the individual Facebook groups alongside the relevant reps
- Keeps an eye on the society’s communication channels - the email, Discord, and the Facebook page inbox
- Delegates the answering of messages to those who are most knowledgeable (and makes sure they answer them) - i.e. Wargames-related questions should be answered by the Wargames rep.
My (yeah, me!!!) testimony:
You're here reading the newsletter, aren't you? Isn't that neat. The co-op exec is a role that allows you to get a little creative, a little funky, and then people get to read your hard work. Incredible! Okay, real talk though, the co-op role is a fantastic position to run for if you're not beholden to any particular faction of the society, or if you love all of them and can't choose - all you need is passable writing skill, a sprinkling of humour, and a motivation to deliver Quality Content unto the members of Tabletop! It's also an important role - you're essentially the town crier, letting everyone know what's happening when. And if you want to get your hands dirty in the organisation of our Bigger events (think the Megagame, think the Big RPG, think Escape Room), then this is the perfect support role for you. It's a really rewarding exec position that polishes your CV to a brilliant shine, and I'm excited to hand off this position to someone fresh and enthusiastic, so please put your best foot forward and nominate yourself for the co-op role!
❔ What's happening this week? ❔
- Monday 5-10pm: Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Online Draft - Kaldheim - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Online Board Games
- Thursday 5-10pm: Online CCGs
- Sat/Sun, midday to midnight both days: Board Games Weekend! - a 24 hour bonanza of board games (and other tabletop games) over on our Discord server. Come on by for a few quick games or power through the entire weekend, it's up to you! Remember to plan any big/time-consuming games in advance, and pop them up on our events page to find players.
We're organising an exec meeting to happen on a TBD day/time this week, so keep an eye on the
#announcements channel in our Discord for an announcement on that front if you're interested in listening in. There's not too much to discuss, but a report from me on the newsletter survey/changes will be forthcoming 👀
💭 What happened last week? 💭
It was a quiet week last week. Raghav won the Vintage Cube draft with a Sneak-and-Twin deck (yes, gross) - congrats! 🎉 Also, we learned that the bots on the draft website don't value their Black Lotuses, with Sam grabbing a Lotus as his second(!?!?) pick in the draft... 😳
Hopefully I'll have some more dramatic tales for next week's newsletter. Remember to head on down to board games weekend!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us (online) 💛
Ares Osborn 🐸 (Communications and Operations, gay for big ladies with abs)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!