We have another collaboration running the week that'll spice up your weekend - read on to learn more!
❗ Announcements ❗
✏ Game Design Collab - Design Your Own Game!
5pm Friday 19th February - 5pm Sunday 21st February, Game Design Discord server
Would you like to make your own board game? Build an RPG system? Create some other tabletop masterpiece / monstrosity? In the third edition of our yearly collaborations with the Game Design Society, you can do just that!
Starting with an (optional) theme reveal at 5pm on Friday 19th (Week 6) and ending with play testing at 5pm on Sunday 21st, this is a chance for you to try building a small game in a small time frame. Whether you're a programming pro (and want to build a Tabletop Simulator mod) or not tech-savvy at all (and want to write an RPG thing or experiment with Tabletopia Workshop), we've got options for you! Just show up for as long as you want to build something fun. Members from both societies who have done game jams before will be around to help you out as well, so don't be afraid if you have no experience!
We'll be running this in Game Design's Discord server, which means you can go on an exciting holiday to a different Discord server. Woah. Also we'll likely have a Jackbox session in the middle of the jam as a break.
📢 The AGM Membership Deadline Approaches THIS WEDNESDAY
Reminder: the AGM is being held on Wednesday 3rd March, 7-9pm, online over Teams (click this link to join the Team)
There is a full breakdown on how the AGM is working in a special edition of this newsletter - please go and read that if you haven't already.
⚠ IMPORTANT: in order to vote, you MUST be a MEMBER and you MUST have VERIFIED THIS MEMBERSHIP on the Tabletop website 14 days (THAT'S THIS WEDNESDAY) before the AGM takes place ! ⚠
- Membership can be purchased on our SU page
- Instructions on how to then verify your membership on the Tabletop website can be found in the "Upcoming AGM Formal Announcement" newsletter under the heading "verifying your membership"
📝 The AGM Exec Low-down 5: Magic: the Gathering Draft and CCGs
Now, continuing on with our weekly low-down on the individual exec roles, this week brings details for the Magic: the Gathering Draft and Casual Card Games (CCGs) Reps. Remember, if you want a breakdown of what each exec role entails, you can view this on the exec page on our website!
The Magic: the Gathering Draft rep:
- Runs the weekly Draft session on Tuesday evening. This includes:
- Creating events on the website where appropriate (i.e. for special drafts or online events)
- Welcoming and teaching players unfamiliar with the draft format, and signposting those new to Magic to the Thursday CCGs session
- Organising pods, setting up the tournament, and recording results.
- Is responsible for the Draft equipment and budget. This includes:
- Managing the money box, and purchasing booster boxes.
- Maintaining the lands box
- Purchasing new equipment when needed (this includes sleeves for players to purchase, lands, playmats)
- Keeping an inventory of draft-related equipment that the society owns (together with the CCGs rep)
- Moving equipment to and from storage
- Runs special draft events, with flashback sets or cubes, in addition to or at regular Draft sessions.
- Runs the joint Draft/CCGs Facebook group alongside the CCGs rep
- Makes the weekly Draft reminder announcement (on Discord too)
- Maintains our relationship with the Games Den, and works towards having our results recorded officially if possible.
- Facilitates ideas and works towards improving any Draft related activities the society does.
Although the draft role is very specific, I think it is still extremely fun. The role requires you to manage money, scheduling and tracking tournament results. This means that you will also be developing those skills further when doing the job. My favourite part was picking what set/special sets/cube to schedule as well as having a consistent event weekly to improve my strategy and test my luck. If you enjoy the process of drafting and interacting with others, then this role is definitely for you!
The Casual Card Games (CCGs) rep:
- Runs the weekly CCGs session on Thursday evening
- This includes welcoming and teaching new players, as well as ensuring established players are getting games.
- This also includes facilitating a diverse selection of CCGs, not just Magic: the Gathering. The CCGs rep should preferably know how to play/learn more than one CCG.
- Is responsible for the CCGs equipment and budget. This includes:
- Purchasing new equipment when needed
- Keeping an inventory of CCGs equipment that the society owns (together with the Draft rep)
- Moving equipment to and from storage
- Runs extra/alternative CCGs-themed events, including:
- Tournaments, like the Modern league or Boxing league
- Alternative format events, such as Planechase for MtG and Snake Draft for Netrunner
- Runs the joint Draft/CCGs Facebook group alongside the Draft Rep.
- Makes the weekly CCGs reminder announcement (on Discord too)
- Facilitates ideas and works towards improving any CCGs related activities the society does.
If you are interested in any sort of casual card game and teaching them, then this is the role for you. One of the most interesting and enjoyable parts of the role is being able to show new players how much you love these games, and then being able to see how far players come in just a short period of time. Moreover, being a part of special events is a great way to get new players engaged. Thus, to summarise: if you enjoy playing and teaching CCGs, then this is certainly the role for you.
❔ What's happening this week? ❔
- Monday 5-10pm: Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Online Draft - Icon Masters - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Online Board Games
- Thursday 5-10pm: Online CCGs
- Friday 5pm - Sunday 5pm: Game Design Collab - Design Your Own Game! Scroll up to the announcement to learn more. This will be taking place in Game Design's Discord.
💭 What happened last week? 💭
On Friday night we had our social gaming collab with Warwick Magic Society! Benji has written a little recap of what went on:
A jam-packed evening with Magic Society happened Friday evening. Dozens showed up to murder each other in a fun and lawful manner in Among Us, as well as compete in battles of wits, knowledge, and sheer luck in various Jackbox games (see the images for what we came up with). Interspersed with these were quick and mind-blowing magic tricks performed by the president of Magic Society, such as the Queen of Spades suddenly having teleporting powers, a card shuffling trick (which was explained, live!), and the appearance of three duplicates of their president (or his flatmates, if one were to be nitpicky)! All in all, a great showcase of fun, magic, and making up forbidden Finnbar Lore.
On Saturday, we had a (now sadly rare) paper Magic: the Gathering event, Kaldheim
Pre Post Release. There was an ox pulling a plow, Koma Coils, and Sam won the tournament with Sultai Aggro. Congrats! 🎉
That's all from me this week; I can't wait to see what everyone designs this weekend!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us (online) 💛
(Happy Belated Valentine's Day from Frog!)
Ares Osborn 🐸 (Communications and Operations, winked at by a spider)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
We're sponsored by Zatu Games! Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!