Oh God Oh H*ck It's The AGM This Week!
Also pinch punch 1st of the month! Welcome to March 2 electric boogaloo.
❗ Announcements ❗
📢 THE AGM IS THIS WEDNESDAY!
Reminder: the AGM is being held on Wednesday 3rd March, 7-9pm, online over Teams (click this link to join the Team)
There is a full breakdown on how the AGM is working in a special edition of this newsletter - please go and read that if you haven't already.
Alright folks, this is it. The final countdown. I have condensed everything that you might need to do down into these useful lists:
🗳 If you want to go to the AGM and then vote:
- Make sure you join the Teams
- Read the manifestos of those standing for roles and the proposed motions in our AGM forum thread. Note down any questions you may have!
- Turn up to the AGM this Wednesday at 7pm! This is your opportunity to ask questions to the candidates and contribute to the motions.
- After the AGM, we'll be hosting the vote on the Tabletop website! Make sure to keep an eye out for us advertising how you do this. You'll have a week to ask questions to candidates on Discord (we'll be creating an
#hustingschannel for this purpose) and to get your votes in.
🙇♂️ If you have/want to stand as a candidate for election:
- In order to stand, you can go to our AGM forum post and post a manifesto! You can also stand on the night. Remember to stand for as many roles as you are interested in - you don't have to limit yourself to just 1.
- If you are nominating yourself for >1 role, send a list with an order of preference of roles to Thomas via Discord DM (
- Write a ~30 word summary of you/your manifesto and Discord DM this to Thomas (
@thebruce). This will be hosted on the voting page.
- During the AGM, you'll have (if you choose to accept it) 1 min and 30 seconds to talk about the first (i.e. your top preference) role you've nominated yourself for. You'll get an additional 30 seconds for each other role you've nominated yourself for. This doesn't have to be too formal! Additionally, if you can't speak during the AGM for whatever reason, but want something said on your behalf, Thomas is happy to read out a prepared speech for you.
- Society members will then get the opportunity to ask you questions at the AGM, so be prepared for that!
- You'll also have the opportunity to answer any questions during the voting period in a new
#hustingschannel on our Discord.
📝 If you want to suggest a motion to be voted on:
- Please note: the deadline for suggesting constitution-changing motions has now passed. You can still, however, suggest other motions.
- Go to our AGM forum post to read about the format for proposing motions, and then post your motion as a reply to the thread.
- Motions require someone to second them - you can find someone in advance, or just hope someone stands up to second your motion on the night.
- Be prepared to talk about the motion you've proposed, and to answer any questions about it at the AGM.
- You'll also have the opportunity to answer any questions on your motion during the voting period in a new
#hustingschannel on our Discord.
🗿 If you want to suggest/vote on a mascot:
- Go to our Very Serious (Not Serious) Mascot Elections forum post.
- If you want to nominate a mascot, post your mascot manifesto as a reply. There are plenty there already for you to have a look at as examples!
- Mascots will be voted on in brackets during the AGM. So, if you want a say on the next mascot, make sure to turn up to the AGM. There won't be a 7-day voting period afterwards.
📝 The FINAL AGM Exec Low-down 7: Appointed Exec Roles (Welfare, Equal Ops, Health and Safety, Graphic Design, Assistant Reps)
This last installment of the Exec Low-down brings you descriptions of the Appointed Exec Roles. These are not voted on by the society membership; instead, they are voted on by the exec. The welfare, equal opportunities, and health and safety reps are appointed from amongst the elected exec (and are called "auxiliary" roles). The graphic design rep can either be an existing exec, or someone from the membership. The assistant reps are appointed from the membership in order to support an elected exec with their role, and are often appointed to help the RPGs and CCGs reps.
⚠ If you're interested in becoming an appointed rep, you should make this known to either someone in the current or future exec. ⚠
Please note: there is a motion to modify the welfare and equal ops roles. Please give that a read!
The Welfare Rep: (talk to Anakin if you're interested in this role)
- Is the first point of contact between exec and members regarding issues relating to welfare (e.g. mental health)
- Signposts anyone with welfare-related issues to the appropriate support
- Works with the rest of the exec, the equal ops officer and the SU to make sure welfare issues are resolved where appropriate
- Attends the SU welfare training and any other appropriate workshops/training.
The Equal Opportunities Rep: (talk to Benjamin if you're interested in this role)
- Is the first point of contact between exec and members regarding complaints and issues relating to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Signposts anyone with issues to the appropriate support
- Attends SU-run equality workshops and other appropriate workshops/training
The Health and Safety Rep: (talk to James if you're interested in this role)
- Is usually one of the LARP Exec
- Completes the yearly risk assessment form
- Completes any subsequent risk assessments for special events
- Works with reps (especially LARP equipment officer) to ensure all equipment is safe to use
The Graphic Design Rep: (talk to Ares, that's me, if you're interested in this role)
- Creates all physical advertising material for the society, including the banner, business cards, posters/flyers per individual section of the society and the society as a whole, and stickers.
- Creates all event promotion, including digital posters for events such as the Tabletop Weekends, quizzes and collaborations.
- Looks into other methods of advertising and investigates their cost-effectiveness.
Assistant Reps: (talk to J (CCGs) or Oli (RPGs) if you're interested in being an assistant)
- Society members appointed by the exec when it is felt extra help is needed - there is often an RPGs Assistant Rep, and a CCGs Assistant Rep
- They assist the exec role that they are assistant to in their duties (see the relevant exec descriptions in past newsletters, or on our Exec page)
❔ What's happening this week? ❔
- Monday 5-10pm: Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Online Draft - Mystery Booster - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Online Board Games
- Wednesday 7-9pm: ⚠ THE AGM ⚠ - scroll up to the announcements for full details
- Thursday 5-10pm: Online CCGs
Please take the time to attend our AGM this week - the future of the society is in your hands!
💭 What happened last week? 💭
The Netrunner Lockdown tournament concluded this week, the victory crown going to Jamie! 🎉 You can see a screenshot of the scores to the right. In this particular Netrunner format, you have ten lockdown points to spend on the IDs (a permanent passive, kind of like an emblem in Magic, that you build your deck around) for the decks that you bring (which range from -1 to 10 points, and you have to bring a corp and a runner deck). The fewer points you spend, the better (this acts as a tiebreaker). For example, Finnbar brought a -1 point deck and a 2 point deck, and then got a bonus -0.1 for fulfilling a bonus fancy condition!
The next Netrunner tournament is going to be a day-long tournament using the [new and slightly mad] Okorina format, organised by Jamie, and the event (with full details) is open for sign ups!
Battlestar Galactica (BSG) made a return to board games this week, in which Francis consolidated enough power to become a dictator. They took the position of admiral, president and vice president... all at the same time. Also there was apparently a 60% incarceration rate. Damn.
A Song of Ice and Fire (the tabletop minis game) continues to make no sense to anyone, including those who play it...
And in Spirit Island, a scenario was played where there was buried treasure on the island, which the players/the invaders could search for to get benefits. The invaders ended up getting 4/5 of the benefits, leading to them heavily blighting the island and building up a strong presence. The players only managed to counter this thanks to Tim acquiring a power which let him do damage in proportion to the amount of blight (gg Tim). The players won, narrowly (phew). Take that, invaders!
Finally, on a more serious note, the minutes for the last 2 exec meetings are now ready to be read. You can check them out on the minutes page of the Tabletop website.
That's all from me this week. Thanks for putting up with all the AGM info being thrown at you the past term. It'll be over soon!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and COME TO THE AGM 💛
Ares Osborn 🐸 (Communications and Operations, Panik)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
We're sponsored by Zatu Games! Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!