Term has started, but sadly we're still stuck at home. Tabletop: Digital Edition is still going strong though, and we need your help to push out some updates! Read on to find out more...
A hoodie reminder
Here's your reminder that Tabletop Society Hoodies are currently on sale! Order now to show your love for this lil’ society.
The deadline for orders is May 10th, so buy soon to avoid disappointment.
Note: we're now slightly uncertain of delivery times due to the current situation, but will get your your hoodies as soon as we can!
Tabletop: Digital Edition
Until further notice, we will not be running any in-person events during term 3 due to COVID-19.
If this changes, we will tell you via our various social media outlets (here, Facebook, Discord).
However, we are still offering a forum to socialise and play games with other members: all of our online tabletop gaming is organised through our Discord server. Discord is an amazing platform for text and voice chat while you play games together. If you are new to Discord, and do not have an account, you can sign up here. Once you've got an account, you can join our server by using this link: https://discord.gg/rsmuF27
Once you've joined, remember to read the rules in the
welcome channel, and write a little bit about yourself in
We have a whole host of channels on our server, all of which will have an introduction to them as a pinned post. We've created some special new channels specifically for online gaming:
looking-for-games: a place to put your intention to host or play a game, and/or join up with those who have already done so. This isn't a place for discussion, solely somewhere to find games.
online-games-discussion: a place for discussion oriented around online games, whether these are tabletop-related or actual gaming games.
ccgs-online-games-discussion: a place specifically for the discussion of online CCGs, such as Magic: the Gathering and Netrunner.
voice channels: here's where you go to speak over the mic to each other when playing games. Click on a channel that has a speaker symbol next to it and it will automatically connect you to the voice chat.
board games tables: under this category is a list of "tables." Once you've organised a game, you can all move over to a specific table as a place to talk together without disturbing anyone else (or anyone else disturbing you!)
I've already outlined what kinds of games we've been playing and on what platforms in our Easter Holiday Newsletter, so go check that out if you want to know more.
We also have some special extra servers set up:
- Our (unofficial) modded Minecraft Server: if you wish to join our new city, Tabletopolis, you can join the Tabletopolis Discord server here: https://discord.gg/F9y7Sak
- Animal Crossing: there's a small community of us who play Animal Crossing New Horizons, so Finnbar has set up a server for ACNH-related chit-chat, resource-sharing, and island-visiting here: https://discord.gg/d9Y6t2g
What's happening this week?
This week, we're sticking to our Easter Holiday format:
- Tabletop Evening - Monday 5-10pm on our Discord - a time to play any and all kinds of games: board games, wargames, jackbox, werewolf, CCGs... Whatever you can get people to play with you!
- CCGs Evening - Thursday 5-10pm on our Discord - this classic CCGs spot is the time to play CCGs specifically.
But what will happen in future weeks?
As it's now term time, we need to make a decision on whether to switch back to a timetable that more resembles what we would do in person. So we've got some information (and some polls) for you!
- Wargames: will be sticking to the Monday 5-10pm slot. Look out for Jon Cheah's weekly "what's happening this week?" posts on the Wargames Facebook Group.
- Magic: the Gathering Draft: we've put out a poll to gather interest for booster and/or cube draft in the Tuesday slot (6-10pm). Please respond if you're someone who would usually turn up to drafts, special drafts or cubes in person so we can gauge interest levels.
- Board games: we need to decide whether board games will remain part of Monday Tabletop Night, or whether it will be moved back to our regular Wednesday slot (or even another day of the week gasp). Have your say on the poll we've put out, and we will let you know the outcome early next week!
- CCGs: will be sticking to the Thursday 5-10pm slot, and games will be organised via a weekly post on our Draft/CCGs Facebook Group, and then played via voice-chat on our Discord in the evening.
- RPGs: we've seen that some of you have successfully been running campaigns online, and that's awesome! If you're looking to run an online one-shot or start up a new campaign, remember to advertise it via our Discord, and create an event on our website for people to sign up to.
- LARP: sadly, LARP does not exactly lend itself to the online format. As such, until further notice, you can assume that it will not be running this term. We will keep you informed with any updates to this.
What happened over Easter?
A big thank you to everyone who read our "Presidential Address" on April 1st: a grand total of 23 people got rickrolled, including one person that managed to get rickrolled all three times, and someone who managed to get rickrolled twice using the same link.
While there was a mass frog-icide (with the sole 3 survivors housed safely in a treehouse sanctuary) and a fire at Argos, Tabletopolis is still going strong, with an expansive apiary creation and the beginnings of the Tabletopolis Underground.
Jon Bell: "In King's Dilemma, there has been anti-piracy and colonialism, while steam giants and gunpowder have been invented. Knowledge within the kingdom has flourished, despite the Church's best efforts, while a cultish group has sought immortality and created undead soldiers of young girls sacrificed for their ill ends. A war was ended before it could begin with a diplomatic marriage celebrated with statues of solid silver, and another was won through force of arms." Callum: "oh yeah, we found steampunk."
Tabletop Night on Mondays has seen tiny social games like Codenames and Just One played (including an incident where the questionable clue of "dominatrix" was used to relate to cows...), some roll-and-write games like Ganz Schön Clever, and we've finally managed to crack out a game of Quantum despite it being out of print (digital does have its benefits!)
There were some especially artful creations in Patently Stupid to answer the question "how can we make membership go up." Suffice to say, we'll now be investing the remaining LARP budget into the creation of the LARP-safe gun.
Finnbar: "Just to confirm, none of the exec suggested this, and we are not planning to threaten people to increase the number of people that buy membership."
That's all from me this week! I hope to see you at some of our online gaming events. Oh, and a big good luck to anyone who has exams these next couple of weeks. I'm rooting for you <3
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us <3
Ares Osborn (Communications and Operations, Big Gay)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord