Very Serious (Not Serious) Macot Election 2023

Avatar for ORCH1D Scarlett ( ORCH1D )

Posted 1 year, 3 months ago

I know what it's like to lose.
To feel so desperately that you're right,
But to fail, nonetheless.
It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly.
I ask you, to what end?
Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same.
And now it's here.
Or should I say, I am.

voice from offscreen: "Scarlett have you been playing too much Marvel SNAP again?"
Scarlett: "SHUT UP."

Greetings. It has come time, once again, to elect the most sacred of position of Mascot. I have been told of the following passage in the constitution that is relevant to this situation:

5.2.2: Annual General Meetings also include the election of the Society Mascot. This Mascot has no power (so does not have to be officially listed as an exec member) and does not have to be a member of the society, nor a person. Mascot proposals can be made and voted on by members and non-members alike.

However, it has not escaped my notice that the number of mascots each year is exponential in the number of rounds that we take to elect them, leaving us with many more failed mascots than we can handle. Last year, we ran a deathmatch to rid ourselves of the failed mascots, but this was inefficient and unreliable. So, this year, we will still make them fight in the single elimination tournament as we normally do. However, this time, I have made the effort of gathering the 6 infinity stones, so that I can snap the losers out of existence instantaneously.

So. Do you think your nominee has what it takes to ascend to mascot-hood? Do you think it can run the gauntlet and come out on top? If so, leave a reply to this post nominating the mascot and pleading its case. But know that only one can truly ascend. And for the rest?

I am inevitible.

voice from offscreen: "You know that Thanos only wanted to kill half of all life in Infinity war right? It seems like the casualty rate on this one is way higher than that..."

Scarlett: "ALRIGHT SMARTASS, I'M THE ONE WITH THE STONES, NOT YOU. DO YOU WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN, LOW-STAKES MASCOT ELECTION?"

crickets

Scarlett: "THOUGHT NOT."

tl;dr: Feel free to put any mascot nominations with manifestos down below (even if you're not a paid member). They'll be put in a single elimination bracket, people (including non-members) will be able to vote, and one of them will be the and selected as a mascot. Also Scarlett's having a little bit of a villain arc as a treat but you don't have to worry about that.

Avatar for April April ( April )

can we have strawby jam again?

Avatar for ORCH1D Scarlett ( ORCH1D )

If you'd like to nominate Strawberry Jam again you can, though I can't guarantee it'll end well for the seal

Avatar for Secundus Matthew ( Secundus )

fun fact: there is no limit on how many mascot nominations one person can make. :)
(watch this space)

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed

Avatar for Alvis1218 Alvis ( Alvis1218 )

I would like to nominate "Search for Life", the Terraforming Mars card

A plucky little rover who couldn't find life in the middle of a forest, but will never give up trying! Seemingly mostly blind, this little rover will comfort you whenever you need it...just be aware they definitely think you're a rock or something equally inanimate.

SFL

Avatar for nasenbaer23 Ben ( nasenbaer23 )

Esteemed friends, foes and other parties whose allegiance is as yet undetermined, I present to you a mascot that embodies the values and spirit of Warwick Tabletop and RPG Society.

A Sensible? Sleep Schedule

As many of you are aware. university is a time where due to work, stress or other valid reasons, the sleep schedules of students, staff and others involved in the university bubble suffers.

Therefore, in the interests of welfare, good humour and good spirit, I submit this mascot. We can idolise it, hope to attain it and work towards it, and it shall symbolise the concern we have for the community, wellbeing and general good vibes.

i have been consumed by the SU regs send he-sound of paper eating a person

The Wheel

Do you feel lucky?
The Wheel, as featured on last year's tabletop radio
An entity of great charity and great chance, the wheel has many beneficial properties that would make it an ideal mascot, such as:

• Incentivising donation to charity
  • Jenga
  • Allowing/forcing people to create wonderful works of origami art
  • Jenga
  • Prompting important, dare I say life-changing, insights into philosophy and the world as we know it
  • Jenga
  • Supporting theatre via the medium of dramatic readings from great works of literature (such as My Immortal)
  • Jenga
  • Jenga

In addition, the wheel could have many uses in its position as mascot, such as:

• Being spun to decide the new exec (SU compliant)
  • Being spun to allocate the faction budgets
  • Replacing rolling dice (old, boring) with spinning the wheel (new, fresh, exciting)
  • Hypnotising people to get them to come to LARP
  • Deciding who gets to survive after the inevitable wargames coup

(note: the wheel is not rigged, don't listen to anyone who says the wheel is rigged.)

ORB

many of you who don't come to exec meetings do not know that the society is secretly run by ORB

"The ORB is very important" - Common saying by exec members

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago

(for those who want context, at some point the AOB (any other business) slide of our exec meeting became ORB. Anyway now the exec are but servants to the ORB)

Obscure LARP in-jokes

Dear all non-LARPers:

1. Don't worry, I'm not angry, nobody's perfect
  2. Do you know who Gribbler is? Have you met the spirit of gunpowder? Can you name all the gods? (trick question - nobody can)
    Well if the answer is no, let me enlighten you to the various memes and in-jokes of the society LARP. LARP injokes have long been a part of the society, dating back beyond even the memories of the Nameless (haha). Of course, the previous LARP setting actually self destructed after it hit maximum meme capacity and collapsed under its own weight [citation needed]. If this mascot is elected, it will mean great things for the society in general and me (LARP rep) in specific.

Matthew, you may ask, how will I understand any of these in-jokes if I don't come to LARP?

You should come to LARP.

But Matthew, you may continue, isn't it unfair to all the other factions for the society mascot to be limited just to LARP?

Yes.

But Matthew, you may implore me, is King Gustavus II actually an imposter?

I'm not revealing plot spoilers in a mascot nomination.

Bonus: Have a bingo card
LARP in-joke bingo card

Avatar for finnbar Finnbar ( finnbar )

Grumpus, The One Influence Anarch Program

Dear Grumpus enthusiasts, and those who have yet to meet Grumpus.
This is Grumpus:
Grumpus, a small circular creature with a single tooth and a devil tail hanging off someone's shoulder. Aww!
(he’s the little one on the character’s shoulder)

He’s a character from the Netrunner un-set that the Netrunner players in the society have been working on. But more importantly, he is your friend and mine. I am here to tell you that this little friend-shaped immortal should be our mascot.

Grumpus has a variety of talents that would help with the running of the society, such as:

• Being a little guy
  • Very small (only this big -> .)
  • Sit on shoulder (comfy for grumpus)

and more!

While Grumpus is not a plushie yet, he can be approximated by drawing eyes onto a beanbag with a Sharpie, and giving him a pipe cleaner tail. If he wins, I will do this.
(Also because he is small, he will fit in our limited cupboard space.)

Grumpus is also a valuable asset if our online presence is further developed. He fits a wide range of useful emotes for streaming, such as:

• Comfus (when he’s on his favourite pillow)
  • Plumpus (when he’s just had a big meal)
  • Flumpfus (when he’s just thrown himself onto bed)
  • Jumpus (after having an energy drink)
  • Bumpus (he has just run into a wall)
  • Crumpus (the English breakfast version)

Really though, the main reason you should vote for him is because he’s cute and also provokes a lot of interesting questions. Just like Strawberry Jam. Or the Gender Cube.

i'm free

Avatar for AceEmpress Hannah ( AceEmpress )

The Sun

The Sun

Physics has just released xyr hit new thing, The Sun. (You may also be familiar with xyr work from such classic bangers as Gravity, The Earth, and The Cool T-Shirt I Got From A School Trip To CERN That One Time)

Do you like plants? Renewable energy? Nuclear fusion? Not freezing to death? Suncream? If you said yes to any of these, you may like The Sun. If you said no to any of these, then you won't be able to read this response owing to having frozen to death or to not getting good internet reception around a geothermal vent.

The Sun also makes eclipses! Those are pretty sweet! You wouldn't condemn yourself to never seeing an eclipse by voting against The Sun, would you?

"But Fern!" I hear you cry "I understand the sun is the most impressive star within a light year of Earth, but why should it be our mascot this year?"

Well, it is very simple, I say, turning a dial in my brain labelled "quickly improvise an answer to my own hypothetical" until something comes out. You see... Uhhhh..... Give me a second...

Tabletop games need tables! Tables are usually made from wood, which comes from plants, which need the sun to live. However, they can also be made from plastic. EXCEPT! CHEMISTRY PLOT TWIST FALCON PUNCH the hydrocarbons used in plastic come from
fossil fuels which used to be either photosynthetic organisms or things that ate those organisms, both of which *therefore needed The Sun to live. Therefore, unless we plan to become Warwick Games and Roleplaying Society, we should honour The Sun's contribution to our society, and more broadly the work of Physics, as xyr masterpieces go so often unacknowledged and underappreciated.

Here, queer, filled with existential fear.

Avatar for alysha.vd alysha ( alysha.vd )

Strawberry jam!

soc strawberry jam
He's back & better than ever! Running for office round two!!

This year hes upped his look with a swanky bow tie <3