Very Serious (Not Actually Serious) Mascot Elections: 2024

Avatar for nasenbaer23 Ben ( nasenbaer23 )

Posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

AND LO, THERE SHALL COMETH THE DAY WHEREUPON THE MASCOT SHALL BE ELECTED.

Many moons ago, in the before times, my position as President was simply that of figurehead and spokesbeing to the true power in the society, the Mascot. However, citing "you can't have an inanimate object as President", "please don't elect the Koan as your president" and "we hate fun", the Powers that Be did decree that we had to have an actual human in charge of the society.

HOWEVER

We decided to keep the idea of the Mascot. The ancient lore (our constitution) states:

5.2.2: Annual General Meetings also include the election of the Society Mascot. This Mascot has no power (so does not have to be officially listed as an exec member) and does not have to be a member of the society, nor a person. Mascot proposals can be made and voted on by members and non-members alike.
AS SUCH

The only rules for appointing a mascot are that it should probably be related to our society in some way, and that it absolutely must follow the Code of Conduct. You can see our previous mascots in this forum thread if you're looking for ideas. We've also had some good ideas in the past that haven't been elected, such as The Cursed Baby Head That The LARPers Found In The Woods, A Reasonable Sleep Schedule, All Horses/Centaurs or ORB.

YOU MAY NOMINATE A MASCOT BELOW- you may wish to provide a short manifesto (mascotfesto).

Also, please consider if you're planning to renominate Strawberry Jam, that the bit may be getting a little tired

i have been consumed by the SU regs send he-sound of paper eating a person

Avatar for Secundus Matthew ( Secundus )

A Motion on Mascot Term Limits (that is itself also a mascot)

The Society Notes:

• In an unprecedented turn of events, Strawberry Jam has been elected mascot two years in a row.
  • Much like Julius Caesar, there is a threat that Strawberry Jam is declared dictator for life.

The Society Believes:

• It is against the spirit of the position of mascot to become homogeneous.
  • That new and silly mascots should be encouraged
  • Sic Semper Tyrannis

The Society Resolves:

• To institute a strict 1 year term limit on the position of mascot.
  • This limit could possibly be circumvented by changing one's name and adopting a comedic disguise such as a fake nose and moustache.

mascot proposal 1/???

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed

Avatar for Wisteria_Human Caroline ( Wisteria_Human )

I would like to nominate the giant foam sword, Cersei, for our next mascot.

Reasons being:
- Attracts people from far and wide in the hopes of catching a few seconds with their hand around its incredible hilt. Mostly at Welcome Week fairs.
- Can be used to banish evildoers in a non-lethal, LARP-approved manner.
- It is likely that "join our society, we have a six foot tall sword!" is going to persuade at least some people on that basis alone.
- We would be able to officially knight new exec members into office while putting on our best (read: silliest) "medieval noble" voices.

For your consideration.

Avatar for Kellowdee Holly ( Kellowdee )

A new challenger approaches!

I am an avid Strawberry Jam fan. So much so in fact, that the times I visited Warwick as a fresh applicant and moving into freshers week, I was drawn to the tabletop society not only by my nerdiness, but by the extreme cuteness of the mascot honoured here for so long. It is sad that Jam’s reign must come to an end at some point, but I come baring news of yet another cute mascot who can fill the extraordinarily large, seal shaped hole in our heart. Entering the ring…. Dragon!

Purple Dragon Mascot

Now I hear you crying out, Holly! What’s their name? What’s their flair? That’s just a tiny dragon plushie! Well, well, well friends allow me to offer you the best part about this little guy. This lil dude is at home, having just been created by a friend of mine (in the tabletop colours no less!). If this mascot were to win the election, after the Easter holidays I would return to campus with this lil guy! Being a fresh creation, their identity can be developed by the society itself. I am partial to a good plushie name vote which could be hosted on the discord or other social media channels, making this mascot one that the society can truly feel connected to.

Jam has provided emotional support to many members of the society in a way that no other mascot I’ve seen can do. So join me in backing the mascot that you never knew you needed until now.

Posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Puts on eyepatch It's time to become Punished Matthew (I have never played a metal gear game in my life)

All my previous rejected mascot ideas together

Returning from the mass grave in which failed mascot ideas are buried, let me introduce my previous failed experiments. Created in a bedroom by a man who finds his own jokes hilarious in a lab by a mad scientist, these mascot proposals were of course all murdered by Strawberry Jam over the course of two years of bloody hand-to-hand combat. But now they return!
Featuring:

• Some sort of spherical object that controls all exec meetings
  • Jenga
  • Gribbler (RIP)
  • [REDACTED FOR SAFETY OF LARP SETTING]

a collage of my previous mascot proposals

Of course, since all these mascot ideas have lost previously then combined they will...
Lose even harder - Wait what? That's not the idea! Perhaps I need to go back to the lab...

Foreshadowing is a narrative device in which a storyteller gives an advance hint of what is to come later in the story

Avatar for nasenbaer23 Ben ( nasenbaer23 )

The Sappy Bits of Ben's President Report That They Removed For The Sake Of Brevity and Preventing The Damn Thing from Being 20+ Minutes Long

I fully expect this mascot to lose. I actively want others to win. I also want all of you reading this to gain a sense of how much this society means to me and how much of an honour it has been to be an exec and your President.

Tabletop was the first society that I joined at Warwick. I felt welcomed from my first day on the Discord, at my first events at Welcome Week in my first term and beyond. Meeting so many incredible people, some of whom I am proud to call my closest friends to this day made me understand exactly what an incredible community we have built here. This wasn't just an accident. The execs of the past did so much incredible work to build this society, and so I take my hat off to anyone who has ever served on the exec, as well as those of you in who will in the future.

Before I go on to talk about what being on this exec has meant to me, let me just say this. Tabletop was the first place I came out in and has been the place where I have felt the most like myself out of anywhere at this university. Thank you for letting me be myself.

It has meant the world to me that we as a group have pushed for everyone to be welcome at our events, and that we actively work to challenge the idea that tabletop games are for one group of people who look, talk or act a certain way. Tabletop is for everyone, and so is Warwick Tabletop. Long may that continue.

Being on this exec has been the privilege of my time at Warwick. Seeing the joy on people's faces as we run our events, spending time with fascinating people and being able to serve you as your President made every single one of my days on exec, even the stressful ones, the most rewarding days of my time here.

Don't worry though, this isn't the last you'll see of me.
I love all of you.

i have been consumed by the SU regs send he-sound of paper eating a person

Avatar for James_Hurst James ( James_Hurst )

The Pile of Shame

Few people truly notice as their pile of shame comes into being. For some, it is merely a constant nag at the back of their mind reminding them to build that one last unit sitting in its box. For others, it is a more tangible presence which serves to guard them from more purchases until it has been dealt with. But for others, it grows out of control, it becomes a living, breathing thing that always hungers for more models to be assimilated into its towering structures of cardboard, sprue, metal and resin. It is speculated that should two separate piles of shame merge that a new entity would form, one we can only dream of but that would surely spell disaster. Only time will tell now...

Emotion is fickle. What one person considers a good mascot may to another be pointless, overengineered, or incomprehensible. But science does not lie. Science is pure and objective. And through science, I have discovered the ultimate mascot.

• Proposition 1: There must exist some qualities that make for a good mascot.
  • Proposition 2: By the virtue of having been successful, all prior mascots must possess these qualities
  • Conclusion:

All Previous Mascots Combined

A collage of previous mascots
The ultimate mascot. Untouchable. Unbeatable. The final product of years of mascotry (or at least as far as is documented on this website). Reaching back into the history of tabletop, let me present:

• A mascot that technically makes its own election valid since it includes the option to Re-Open Nominations
  • Actual lovely person Timothy Hutchinson
  • A mascot whose name is Jo(h)n for reasons of being called Jo(h)n
  • I still don't understand the Gender Cube
  • And of course, the two time bloodsport champion, orb of power, god-emperor of all things: round seal (twice).

Scientifically, this mascot should be undefeatable.

Avatar for AceEmpress Hannah ( AceEmpress )

An empty bracket from the mascot vote

You may not appreciate their contribution, but the humble Place Holder is the backbone of modern society. Whenever anything hasn't been decided, when a bracket needs a slot filled, whenever something will be filled, Place Holder is there!

Place Holder is:

• quickly replicable
  • universally present
  • suitable for any situation
  • Not actually their legal name (it's Philip Lacewing-Butterfly Holdall)
  • Easily replaced by last minute mascot submissions if need be

Here, queer, filled with existential fear.