Please note: we had a bit of a hiccup this week with the email version of the newsletter due to moving servers. Sorry this is late to your inbox, and I'm sorry if you get extra notifications about this being published!
It's June - HAPPY PRIDE MONTH FOLKS! Big thanks to Thomas who has enabled the rainbow setting on the newsletter, so enjoy that for the duration of this month! (Disclaimer: to appreciate the full rainbow effect, please read this newsletter on our website. Email does not take kindly to animations).
Tabletop Pride Week!
Mon 15th to Sun 21st June
We've got a small line-up of online events coming to you over our Tabletop Pride Week. Each has a nominal donation associated, all of which are going towards Stonewall as part of our 2.6 Challenge (the cherry on the top of which is our Tabletop Radio event).
Tue 16th, 6-10pm - Cube for Pride
We'll be doing a cube draft (which cube is yet to be determined) to help raise money for Stonewall - the entry is an (optional, but very much encouraged) donation of £2+ to our JustGiving page. As with all of our drafts this term, there will be a promo prize to be given (or mailed) out to the winner when the current coronavirus situation dies down a little.
Fri 19th, 6-8pm - Pride Week Quiz Night
Our termly quiz night falls during our Pride Week so we thought: why not use this to help raise money too? As we can't hold this in person, and we can't get prizes together, the entry fee that you'd usually pay (that funds the prizes) will instead be an (again, optional, but encouraged) donation to Stonewall. There'll even be a Pride-themed round, put together by yours truly. As for the logistics of the quiz happening online, those aren't 100% ironed out yet (as our quizmaster Finnbar is still neck deep in exams), but we'll let you know when we know!
Sat 20th 12pm-Mon 22nd 1am - Tabletop Radio!
I have talked about Tabletop Radio a lot in this term's newsletters, so I'll keep this brief! Our webpage with the full details of Tabletop Radio is now up, so please head over there to learn more. It includes:
- Links to where to donate and where to watch
- The full schedule, including a detailed breakdown of the segment content
- Info on our exclusive Sword in the Dice charity enamel pin, modelled off the Tabletop logo!
- Donation incentives, including kazoo serenades and £20 RPG character art commissions that I'm offering
- How to sponsor the stream (with your ad in our ad breaks!) as an individual or company
What's happening this week?
- Monday 5-10pm: Isolation Tabletop (Wargames and Board Games)
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Isolation Draft - Peasant Cube - free, with a promo prize to the winner - you must sign up here so we know whether we we have enough players to run. This is only the second time the soc-owned, Alisdair-designed peasant cube has been run, and I'm really excited to actually get to draft it this time (please sign up to play so we have enough to fulfil my dream). There may be a few card changes acting on feedback from last time.
- Thursday 5-10pm: Isolation CCGs
What happened last week?
Not much, to be honest, so we'll go straight into baked goods...
Baking with Ares 4: Chocolate Banana Bread
If you're like me and end up with some very sad looking brown bananas in your fruit bowl (I don't even eat bananas...), then this recipe is for you. I'm not a huge fan of banana bread, but this chocolate version has won me over. This recipe is also super easy to make vegan (it comes out tasting exactly the same) - just sub the eggs for apple sauce, sour cream for a vegan substitute (I used coconut milk + lemon), make sure you use a dark chocolate with no dairy, and grease the tin with coconut oil.
And finally, I'd like to end this newsletter by saying Black Lives Matter. Racism is systemic, and all of us non-black folk have a duty to help dismantle that. If you're not sure how to offer support, I shared donation and petition links in the
#external-announcements channel on our Discord related to the this past week's events in Minneapolis. Rest in power, George Floyd, and the innumerable other black victims of police brutality.
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us <3
Ares Osborn (Communications and Operations, BLM & ACAB)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord