Following on from our exec meeting last week, we have some more, very important, details about the AGM to dispense!
The AGM is being held on Wednesday 3rd March, 7-9pm, online over Teams (click this link to join the Team)
Here's all the important info, distilled into some handy bullet points a.k.a. "a list of things everyone(!) should do before our AGM!":
- The full details for this event are in this forum post on our website - please go give that a read!
- We have a Facebook event you should RSVP to.
- You should join the Team in which we'll be holding the AGM online (as, unfortunately, we cannot run the AGM in person this year).
- You should become a member of the society if you aren't already - you can only vote or run for an exec position if you're a member no later than 2 weeks before the AGM is held.
- We will be hosting our own online voting system - more details on this will come when it's finalised, but for now you need to make an account on our website if you haven't already, then link your membership to that account (full instructions on how to do that are in last week's newsletter!)
What if I want to run for an exec role? That would be awesome! Please do! Here's some more handy bullet points a.k.a. "how to run for an exec role":
- Read over the exec role descriptions that we have created to find a role suitable for you.
- Talk to the current exec member(s) in the role(s) you're interested in - they'll be able to give you the low-down on what you'll be doing in that role, and any ideas they have for future improvements.
- Write a "manifesto" - a little bit about who you are, your current involvement in the society, and which role(s) you want to run for and why! You can also talk about any ideas you want to implement if you become an exec member.
- When you're happy with it, post that manifesto as a reply on the AGM 2021 forum post on our website to nominate yourself publicly!
- Prepare to give your manifesto at the AGM, and to answer any questions that members may have for you.
And now, the last "how-to" instalment - "how to propose motions that the society will vote on during the AGM":
- Full instructions for how to propose a motion are detailed in our AGM 2021 forum post - please read these carefully.
- Please discuss your motion with the current exec team if you are comfortable doing so - this way, we can let you know whether the motion is likely to pass, and whether there's anything in it that may cause issues. You don't have to do this, but it is recommended.
- Finally, post your motion as a reply to the forum thread, and prepare to present (and defend) it at the AGM! You'll also need to find someone to second it.
Last week, I promised deets on the exec roles in the lead up to the AGM. I'm starting that off this week with what we expect all of our exec to do, and then I'm following that up with one of the most important roles in the Society - the President!
All exec (elected and appointed) are expected to:
- Pull their weight
- Perform their allocated duties
- Communicate with the other exec via the Exec Discord server
- Attend exec meetings
- Attend any relevant training that the SU provides at the beginning of the year
- Represent their part of the society at various events (e.g. societies fairs, tabletop weekends)
- Propose new things for the society to do
- Have fun!
- Represents the society and oversees all of its activities
- Thus should be involved in every part of the society in some way
- Assists in running events where needed
- Ensures every exec is fulfilling their duty
- Makes executive decisions on matters that are time-sensitive, that don’t require exec discussion, or that are a point of conflict amongst the exec
- Is the principle contact point between the society and the SU/University
- Is the principle respondent to SU communication
- Is responsible for any collaborations with the SU/University, such as Postgraduate Board Games
- Represents the society at the termly Societies Council
- Is the principle contact point between the society and other societies
- Is responsible for any collaborations that may be made (though may delegate this to other exec where appropriate)
- Is responsible for inter-society events, such as Laser Quest vs Compsoc
Hi, I'm Finnbar and I've been your President this year! You will probably hear this advice a lot during these next few weeks, but you should definitely consider running for exec if you can. Helping run this society for the past three years has been a joy (although also a very busy time in some of the more intense exec positions). Getting to be involved in all of the cool stuff we do is really rewarding and getting to represent all the lovely people here is absolutely worth it. If you're interested in running for any exec position, ask the current exec member about it. Remember that you don't need have loads of experience to be an exec - we were all nervous new exec members at some point, and you'll definitely pick up a good amount of experience on the way!
What's happening this week?
Phew, now that you've gotten through all the AGM instructions above, here's the rundown of what's up this week:
- Monday 5-10pm: Online Wargames
- Tuesday 6-10pm: Online Draft - Theros - free! (as it's online) - you must sign up here to take part
- Wednesday 5-10pm: Online Board Games
- Thursday 5-10pm: Online CCGs
What happened last week?
Introductory One-Shots 2 Electric Boogaloo ran on Saturday, and we had 3 one-shots successfully run, and 1 driven (thanks for the joke Hannah) - Finnbar's "CRASH PANDAS 2: CRASHLANDS RELOADED," Benjamin's "Unravelling Times," Oli's "The Work in Progress" and Tim's "Defiance in Phlan." We have a few accounts of what went on below...
Finnbar: "okay, here's an attempted summary:"
- woke up in a scrapheap, found an old not great car and also a peanut stand and giant wheels
- knocked out the guy in charge of the peanut stand (with electricity but not a defibrillator! I'm free!)
- "combined" those into a monster truck motorbike (which could lose its wheels and become a regular car (and lose its car to become a duck-powered trolley)) after an experience driving a car and the stand (powered by supersonic ducks) to the workshop (ending in a handbrake turn)
- also built a cannon that fires nuts (nut cannon)
- met robert llewellyn, who runs Gaslands and got very excited about the motorcycle, so told them to do Gaslands
- the party fucked up someone else's engine, proceeded to squash them in the race, and took out someone else's flamethrower
- animal control was after one of the party, so they were mooned by a raccoon and then shot at
- the main antagonist had plot armour and a sword larger than sephiroth's
- there was an epic fire jump and a handbrake turn
- robert llewellyn got very excited, constantly
- they stole a rocket
- the duck whistle which summoned the original ducks summoned angry space ducks, sated by peanuts
- they handbrake turned onto mars despite their best efforts "that Happened™ (and it was 10/10)"
I won't elaborate here on my scepticism with handbrake turns in space, nor about how close Earth and Mars were (except in the riveting screenshot from our DMs), but you can read about those in
highlights channel if you're interested.
Benjamin: "It started in fire, and ended in fire; in Unraveling Times, the party started the session by (poorly) putting out a city-wide fire, and ended the session by blasting a hole, and setting on fire, the home of an angry wizard. Many an eldritch beastie was put to rest today"
Sounds like it was lit (is absolutely overcome with self loathing for saying that, but the pun had to be made).
Anyway, moving on, we have an exciting dice update! Benji received the shipment of many dice over the holidays, and we now have some photos to tease you with. These will be available to collect when we have exited lockdown.
My apologies for such a lengthy start to the newsletter, but the AGM is the most important event we run every year - without it, and without people running for exec roles, the society would cease to exist. Please get involved if you can!
Wash your hands, stay inside, and come play some games with us (online) <3
Ares Osborn (Communications and Operations, please run for my role at the AGM! Yes, sadly I am stepping down. The Year of the Frog is coming to an end.)
@dovahbutt#7544 on Discord
Use the code STU99 at the checkout to get 5% off your purchase!