2018/19 Term 2 Week 7 Exec Meeting Minutes

20 Feb 2019

Posted by Ares ( Avatar for morrowkei morrowkei )

You can view the full powerpoint minutes for this meeting here:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FiKMzM3QN1ZfJTzcb2-xDMKpbIdzEahfiGaxhvvjn-o/edit?usp=sharing
This meeting was conducted on 20/02/2019 at 1600-1700 in S0.50

Exec Present:
Ares (Sec.)
Nigel (Pres.)
Patrick (Boardgames)
Finnbar (News Dude)
Callum (RPGs)
Jakub (LARP)
Nathan (Treasurer)
Tim (LARP Ass.)

Exec Absent:
James SF (Wargames)
Ash (Web Admin.)
Aleksa (Draft)
Alisdair (CCGs Ass.)
Josh (CCGs)
Jon (RPGs Ass.)

Orders of Business:
Reminders/Updates
1. AGM
2. Pantomime Society borrowing LARP gear
3. Camera options

Reminders/Updates
Info/To Discuss:

  1. B2.02 cupboards?
  2. Finnbar: has website description been updated?
  3. Quiz prizes! James SF is unable to do it. Any takers? I can’t.
    a. We’re getting more 3D printed stuff as prizes, Finnb is sorting that.
  4. Game design collab - who will be there this weekend?
  5. Has anyone talked to compsoc further about them borrowing games for their Tea+ event?
  6. Patrick wants a budget for boardgames
  7. Compsoc v Tabletop lazerquest event: Term 2 Week 10, Tuesday 5th March. Any objections?

Actions:

  1. David Brown has offered to be our contact within Physics who is our “vouch”/middleman if necessary
    a. Robb Johnston hasn’t answered Nigel’s calls yet
    b. Nigel will help successor with process if it isn’t sorted by the end of his term
  2. Try and do it before new exec come in (or, if not, make sure they know to do it before Welcome Week).
  3. Patrick will be responsible for the quiz prizes (get a monetary limit from James SF)
  4. Finnb will be there most of the time; Patrick might pop in Saturday evening and for playtesting; Nigel might be around Sunday
  5. Callum/Finnb have talked to compsoc a little bit further about our compensation etc (they have no problems with it) but they haven’t yet turned up to BGs to talk to Patrick
  6. Nathan will get Patrick a budget
  7. No objection

1. AGM
Info/To Discuss:

  • Email going out after this meeting about amendment suggestion deadline, and I’ve created a forum thread for that.
  • Thank you to everyone who helped with motions.
  • There are now too many motions to list here, but there’s a PDF in the drive (linked in the email you’ll get and on the thread) listing them all. Are there any anyone wants to discuss?
  • Nominations so far:
    • Pres: Callum
    • Treasurer: Benjamin
    • Secretary: no one officially
    • Board games: Josh Smith
    • Wargs: no one officially yet
    • Draft: no one officially, but someone is likely going to do it (Daniel)
    • CCGs: no one officially, Alisdair?
    • RPGs: Anakin, Jon
    • Web Admin: Thomas
    • Comms: no one officially, Finnb
    • LARP: no one officially
    • Quartermaster: Timothy re-running
  • Nigel: what’s the state of the powerpoint?
  • Who’s going to be good for HSO, EOO, Welfare?
    • HSO: Quartermaster should do this
    • Discussion for after AGM

Actions:

  • Patrick will go to Welfare Officer in SU to discuss the anonymous complaints system and potentially get an official statement about this. It’s something that the SU should provide over societies individually, probably? Might need to lobby the SU about this. Regardless, we need to know the SU's stance on this.
  • Running of AGM rules:
    • Only second a motion if you really think it needs to be voted on
    • Motions can be dismissed (by majority vote?)
    • Hard timer on discussion due to limited time, and Nigel needs to police discussion to make sure it doesn’t get circular.
  • Whether we vote by hands raised or on paper should be done on a motion-by-motion basis. If at least one member requests secret, it has to be secret. All exec votes by paper by default.
  • Make sure you have max 30 seconds prepared on what you’ve done as an exec during the last year for the society update at the start.

2. Pantomime Society borrowing LARP gear
Info/To Discuss:

  • Pantomime Society (Henry Smith) want to borrow some LARP gear for a lotr thing they’re having next week. Isn’t a Sunday so no clash with our LARP.
  • He’s already a member so that’s sorted (he DMs RPGs).
  • Jakub wants permission to go ahead
  • Are we going to ask for any compensation?

Actions:

  • Need to give them a health and safety rundown (specifically no stabbing) and how to use the weapons etc
  • And a rundown of “if you break it, you replace it”
  • Can use the boardgames log for the borrowing
  • Compensation: shout-out promotion, and they’ve already bought membership

3. Camera Options
Info/To Discuss:

  • Option 1: £40 camera - not waterproof, but splashproof, has image stabilisation (good for LARP).
    • ~14 Mpx, better than your average smartphone
  • Option 2: £69 camera, ~16 Mpx
  • Preferably want one that’s shock proof
  • Also need to get a nice bag for it.
  • Basic requirements: >12 Mpx, shock proof, or not worth buying over using a smartphone camera

Actions:

  • Use smartphone until we can find a shockproof camera
  • Jakub and Tim can do further research

Next Meeting!
To Discuss (Focussing):
Will be week after AGM (Week 9) and will be new exec + old exec (probably 2 hours)

  1. Tabletop Weekend (Patrick + new BGs rep?)
  2. Quiz (Ares + new Sec?)
  3. Compsoc update if necessary
  4. Lazer Quest (Nigel)
  5. Camera Reprisal (Jakub and/or Tim + new LARP reps?)